Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 legacy L auto 2.2 has a high idle. Even when warm it's still a bit high and when in D makes the car rattle-1000 RPM. Also it shifts too high when it's cold (>2000 RPM), but not when it's warm. I tried getting at the shift adjustment bolt on top of the tranny but it's square and seems to be 16mm which is a size I don't have. I don't know if that'd fix it anyway.

A little car history:

My dad gave me the car-while I was moving the tire blew and I had to drive 150 miles on a spare. Also he was driving it on dissimilar tires-all bad things for the tranny. One day it wouldn't move, so on a guess I replaced the tranny filter. The thing was totally clogged. I took it to a tranny place sometime afterwards suspecting the filter had clogged again and they said it was fine. Not that I trust them. I think there is too much fluid in there, but the dipstick just doesn't give a good read. When I filled it I couldn't get it right and the tranny place didn't seem to have better luck.

I just replaced the coolant temp sensor because the check engine light was on-thinking "ah this is all sensor related," but that was not the case. Perhaps the AFM isn't good. There are too many sensors to consider and it's too cold to work on it. But a high idle and high shiftpoints make it unpleasant to drive.

I would take the car to a parts store and get them to check the computer, then go from there. Probably be a good time to do all the tune up stuff too.

The transmission, I'm not too sure, but I do kind of have a question for all you experts. I know with other auto trannies that the fluid doesn't circulate when the car is in park, so if you are letting the car warm up in the morning you can put it in "N" with the e-brake on to warm up the tranny. Guys who snowplow and haul trailers quite often do this after they are done to help cool the trans off. Just a question.

My idle is off too, only in the opposite direction. One of the guys I was talking to about it mentioned that it could be the throttle positioning sensor since when thats getting ready to go it can either drop the idle or raise it (speaking in general, he doesnt have much experience with subarus) I could be wrong but its a shot in the dark

The square headed screw on top of tranny is brake band adj. for changing shift behavior...Unless you read up on the adj. proceedures indepth it would be best to leave it alone. High idle could be a bunch of things...from an O2 sensor to a tight throttle cable. You didn't state mileage of your car, but my 2.2 with higher mileage doesn't run the same all the time...specially when cold. You should have the OBD-II system in yours. The check engine light needs to be addressed. Also, there should be 2 tranny filters..one in the tranny itself..and one in line from tranny to cooler in radiator. It goes without saying your about to know more about Subie's...good luck.

The square headed screw on top of tranny is brake band adj. for changing shift behavior...Unless you read up on the adj. proceedures indepth it would be best to leave it alone. High idle could be a bunch of things...from an O2 sensor to a tight throttle cable. You didn't state mileage of your car, but my 2.2 with higher mileage doesn't run the same all the time...specially when cold. You should have the OBD-II system in yours. The check engine light needs to be addressed. Also, there should be 2 tranny filters..one in the tranny itself..and one in line from tranny to cooler in radiator. It goes without saying your about to know more about Subie's...good luck.

Holy cow. there's another tranny filter??? Because if the other one was clogged to the point that the car wasn't driveable... I have the haynes for it and I don't think I saw any mention of the other filter. I'll have to look at the throttle cable what with the cold weather. I've fixed the check engine light, it was the coolant temp sensor. I tried a computer scanner from schucks and it wouldn't give me info on the O2 sensor.

I know that the square nut is for changing shift behavior-that's why I mentioned it. I asked a few people at schucks and they said it'd be one thing to consider.

Isn't the TPS just a simple mechanical variable switch? I'll look at it but I doubt it's bad, I know on my nissan the adjustment can be off and it's easy to fix, but the unit doesn't ever fail.

My 92 leg has it's second filter located on drivers side of engine, down low by the valve cover. It's a small, black unit with two hoses "one for in" the other out. It is held in place by a braket with a bale clip for removal. I don't know for sure that the 96' leg would have one but i'm sure it does. Subaru has kits at the dealer "filter, hoses, clamps, bracket etc. for about 15 bucks. My svx didn't come stock with one, but they did make the kit for it so I added it. Anyway locate the two metal lines comming out of your tranny "drivers side" follow them forward to radiator and you'll know for sure. The TPS on throttle body is some variable resistor type and some say it will cause shifting problems too. The square adj. for brake band is spose to be all the way in clockwise then out 3 turns but please don't quote me on this...there are threads with the proceedure. Your O2 sensor would be included with your CEL system so if your light is out it's probably ok. Good luck.