Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Online source for EA82 engine/tranny

Wondering if anyone can recommend a good online source / retailer for a used replacement engine for my 92 loyale (ea82)? I'm in Utah. The engine is pretty tired & the tranny buzzes unless you hold the gearshift constantly. I'd prefer to buy engine w/5sp tranny, but that maybe harder to find. Not really interested in putting a different version engine unless it is "plug & play". Thanks for any advice.

I think the tranny buzzing can be fixed easily with $20 worth of gearbox rubbers. I've got the same problem in my manual 5 speed transmission, and i've got the parts on order from Subaru. It's supposed to get rid of the slop and the buzzing noise in the gearbox. They are a pretty solid little gearbox, but the rubbers in the gearshift selector wear out. I'll let you know how i get on.

CCR Inc. would be my suggestion. Great service from people who know and love Subarus as much as anyone here! You will pay for that service and knowledge but if you got money to spend and want a solid Subaru power plant to start with they are the people to call.

Here is their USMB profile:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/member.php?u=358

Here is their website:

http://www.ccrengines.com

For a used engine you might as well start scavanging the junkyards. Keep your eyes on The Marketplace here and on ebay also. Might score something!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, its pretty awesome. The clicking noise is non existant. You can still see the gearbox move a little, but i can't hear it. There isn't much play... and i only used a couple of the parts i bought. It took about an hour and it removed much of the play in the gearbox. I reckon i could get rid of it all if i replaced all the bushes.

I'm going to Bi-Tron the gearbox when i put new oil in it (soon as the bi-tron arrives). I've heard it will improve the shift, which is still notchy. Anyone else heard of Bi-Tron?

Well, its pretty awesome. The clicking noise is non existant. You can still see the gearbox move a little, but i can't hear it. There isn't much play... and i only used a couple of the parts i bought. It took about an hour and it removed much of the play in the gearbox. I reckon i could get rid of it all if i replaced all the bushes.

I'm going to Bi-Tron the gearbox when i put new oil in it (soon as the bi-tron arrives). I've heard it will improve the shift, which is still notchy. Anyone else heard of Bi-Tron?

What exactly are you doing to fix this problem? Mine has some slop and occasionally makes some noise (no surprise at 182,000 miles).

What exactly are you doing to fix this problem? Mine has some slop and occasionally makes some noise (no surprise at 182,000 miles).
Replacing the transaxle bushes. I got spacers and bolts as well... but you should only need the plastic/rubber bushes. I only replaced one set. (ie, 2 bits of plastic, 2 bits of rubber)

You can crawl under your vehicle... and in my FWD there 4 set of joints. There's the stay rod and control rod. Just grab them and pull them. See if any of them are loose. They are right near the exhaust (hot) so wait for it to cool down before you have a look.

I can go and get the price of the things i actually replaced. You should be able to get a dozen of these things for $5. I might go get some more and see how good i can get it to be:) If i do i'll write an article, because for such a small price, its a big difference... though it doesn't reduce the 'notchyness' of the shifting.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got an online source for rebuilt _transmission_ for the GL 4wd wagon? I likely will need one in Berkeley CA -- very soon.

Before my mechanic pulls the engine out to replace all the )(&)(%$#&% gaskets and head bolts that the prior owner's mechanic apparently reused, leaving it leaking oil badly --- I've got to help him locate a rebuilt transmission if one can be found, because it's been popping out of first gear and now 3rd gear on deceleration.

And at 254000 miles on the transmission.

The mechanic here says he used to rebuild these often but now with labor rate high and parts very hard to find he can't rebuild it - and he's not sure he can find one that he could put in and trust would work for me.

If not, I may have a car for sale because I won't be able to fix it myself.

It's at this point just iffy whether to give up, since the carpal tunnel keeps me from working on it myself and I don't have a workshop to put it in anyhow.

Anyone got an online source for rebuilt _transmission_ for the GL 4wd wagon? I likely will need one in Berkeley CA -- very soon.

Before my mechanic pulls the engine out to replace all the )(&)(%$#&% gaskets and head bolts that the prior owner's mechanic apparently reused, leaving it leaking oil badly --- I've got to help him locate a rebuilt transmission if one can be found, because it's been popping out of first gear and now 3rd gear on deceleration.

And at 254000 miles on the transmission.

The mechanic here says he used to rebuild these often but now with labor rate high and parts very hard to find he can't rebuild it - and he's not sure he can find one that he could put in and trust would work for me.

If not, I may have a car for sale because I won't be able to fix it myself.

It's at this point just iffy whether to give up, since the carpal tunnel keeps me from working on it myself and I don't have a workshop to put it in anyhow.

I spoke to CCR (Colorado Compnenent Rebuilders) last week regarding rebuilt 5sp DR Trans, and their price is $550.00, if I recall correctly. I think this is incredibly reasonable. And you get their great reputation too. I was gonna pick one of these up, but then I was given another good donor car.

Pyro

I've passed the recommendation for CCR on to the mechanic at SOS Subaru (he'd looked at their web page as I did and didn't see transmissions listed; I've emailed them and he'll phone them later today.

Since my hands don't work well, this is going to be done by the mechanic -- he can find used parts too, and may be better able to assess them (and will warranty them if he puts them in, taking some of the risk).

But I'd rather get a rebuilt and he just didn't know about CCRinc.

He's surprised at the CCR price, but if they convince him he'll use them as a supplier. To me, again with the carpal tunnel, I don't have an alternative.

If you want rebuilt, ask CCR. I believe that they do transmissions, too.

If used is acceptable, you live in one of the easy places to get JDM engines and transmissions. They are imported used pullout Japanese market units with approx 40000 miles on them. Reasonable prices and, in my experience, decent units. There should be several (maybe a dozen) importers in the Bay area, some in the Berkeley/Emeryville area.

Confirming, yes, CCR has transmissions, rebuilt, available. I figured, at this point, anything 'used' is risking something that's _very_ used. Since my hands don't work all that well and I'm paying shop fees, no point.

The 1988 is the newest car I've ever owned by a long shot and the only one I've ever had with a computer in it. I'm hoping it's worth putting the repairs into. California car, at least, and no sign of rust or damage. Bless the commuters who buy 4wd and don't use them much, I say.

• 1 month later...

Updating -- failures so far.

CCR sent a turbo (wrong transmission) and doesn't have a rebuilt non-turbo. That was several weeks ago.

I've suggested contacting CCR again, but my mechanic doesn't want to -- once burned, twice shy. Can't blame him, he ate a lot of time/cost dealing with the wrong one.

It's possible CCR works better with home rebuilders who can afford to have a car immobile for a month while a transmission is rebuilt -- but although I hear repeatedly they have a good rep i haven't yet heard from anyone who has actual personal experience getting a rebuild done there. Anyone?

Rising Sun in Chico says they do not rebuild Subaru 4wd tranmissions for exactly the reasons that are giving my mechanic fits -- there are a variety of models, all look the same on the outside, they aren't easy to identify until they're taken apart, and parts aren't easy to get. So they don't rebuild them.

Transmission Exchange in Upper Lake CA -- same story, used to rebuild them, but the guy who knew how is long gone and they don't know anyone else who knows how to rebuild Subaru 4wds now.

'Used Japanese' supplier sent two transmissions to my mechanic -- both wrong models, though no one here seems to know how to tell.

There are several transmission rebuilders, not Subaru specific, that promise they can figure out how to rebuild one, for well upwards of a thousand dollars -- but they don't seem like they know what they're doing.

Moral -- if you know what you have, or have a reliable source, you should hang on to it.

If anyone knows a rebuilder who can do this right the first time -- please .....

Hank,

The main key to getting the correct transmission is having your mechanic give the proper gear ratio to whomever they wish to order from. I'm not positive which we were told, 3.7 or 3.9 (bad memory :-\ ), but we sent what we were told and it turned out to be the wrong one. Their check has been returned of course.

One of our guys told the shop how to count the teeth on the differential to get the correct gear ratio. (Apparently, the sticker on the rear diff is missing?) I have no idea how that turned out.

We're sorry for the problems, but we really did ship out what was ordered. It's not the first time that the tranny that "should" have been in that car isn't what's in there now. In fact, it's the main reason we're reluctant to ship transmissions out of this area. Too many inconsistencies, and lots of variations.

We still offer the alternative suggested: send yours here and we'll rebuild it.

Emily

Hank,

The main key to getting the correct transmission is having your mechanic give the proper gear ratio to whomever they wish to order from. I'm not positive which we were told, 3.7 or 3.9 (bad memory :-\ ), but we sent what we were told and it turned out to be the wrong one. Their check has been returned of course.

One of our guys told the shop how to count the teeth on the differential to get the correct gear ratio. (Apparently, the sticker on the rear diff is missing?) I have no idea how that turned out.

We're sorry for the problems, but we really did ship out what was ordered. It's not the first time that the tranny that "should" have been in that car isn't what's in there now. In fact, it's the main reason we're reluctant to ship transmissions out of this area. Too many inconsistencies, and lots of variations.

We still offer the alternative suggested: send yours here and we'll rebuild it.

Emily

Emily, THANK YOU! I much appreciate your posting.

No, the sticker on the rear differential is there -- and readable, I had pointed it out to the mechanic myself at the very beginning of this fiasco. Today, I took him the actual transmission part number posted above in this topic. Checking against their paper note, they had written down almost correctly what was on the transmission itself -- except they got the first letter as Y instead of T.

"Almost correct" is computer jargon. It means wrong. I'm afraid he's been wrong consistently.

Well, I walked in with only the recommendation of people who'd used the local place, they've been there forever, and I'd never owned a Subaru before that week. I got nailed.

I am going to talk to the owner, and see if there's any recourse for the mess. Your info confirms my worst fears about the situation.

Today on the phone, the mechanic denies that he made a mistake in ordering. I think he's mixing up two different wrong transmission stories, because what telling me now isn't the same story as I got a few weeks ago He seems convinced he's been right all along, and has blamed each problem on the supplier. I'd feel better if he had, even once, admitted getting something wrong himself.

I guess in the end I can't tell short of getting hold of the order paperwork.

Supposedly, they do have an exact match -- fourth attempt -- for the transmission coming in this afternoon, and I'll get the car back sometime next week.

I am also going to take my old transmission away when I take the car, this time. At worst it's a garage decoration, but could well be that I'll need it rebuilt after all.

Again, THANK YOU very, very much for coming into this thread and posting. It makes it much easier to figure things out to have the information.

• 2 weeks later...
Emily, THANK YOU! I much appreciate your posting.

Emily, are you still reading here?

Are you getting my email?

I've been trying, again, to ask questions by email and not getting any response, and I can't tell if I'm getting through to anyone there or not.

I've been asking for copies (faxes) of the paperwork so I can show it to the local shop -- right now we have what you remember your mechanic telling you, against what the local mechanic claims he said. They don't match. But as far as I can tell nobody on either side kept an actual paper copy of an order or invoice -- like you'd get from PayPal or Amazon, or any other purchase made at a distance -- that actually says what was ordered and what was shipped.

Whatever you wrote down there, please, fax me a copy. I've emailed you my fax number. I really need to figure out where that transaction went so wrong. With only he-said-she-said disagreement, I lose badly here.

Please respond.

Emily, are you still reading here?

Are you getting my email?

I've been trying, again, to ask questions by email and not getting any response, and I can't tell if I'm getting through to anyone there or not.

..... I've emailed you my fax number. I really need to figure out where that transaction went so wrong. With only he-said-she-said disagreement, I lose badly here.

Please respond.

Still hoping for a response. I have the original transmission, and have no better alternative than to send it there for work, but need to hear back from someone to figure out why there has been so much trouble, well, communicating about transmissions already.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, good news all around -- my original transmission is now on the truck to CCR to be rebuilt. My Berkeley mechanic says he is very happy having had conversations with CCR about what they do, what they offer and what they charge.

It took me a handful of conversations on the Berkeley end and a couple of phone calls to CCR, taking a no-fault-fix approach.

Summary -- nobody took enough notes, or kept them, or got phone conversations relayed reliably second hand, when things got confused the first time we tried getting a transmission from CCR to my mechanic.

Lesson (I hope) learned -- that I have been repeating each time to my Berkeley mechanic:

-- always write down what you think you said,

-- and what you think you were told,

-- and what you think was agreed

-- and FAX IT to the other person

-- and get back a confirmation, or correction.

-- Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've decided this is my responsibility. Even going in I can't rely on someone listening to me describe the problem and writing it down accurately, so I'm now doing my own writeup. And made sure they clip that to whatever they typed into their computer.

Mechanics don't think like Amazon.com, was what I had to realize and now am determined to change, for myself at least. If I want an exact detailed statement of what's been said and is to be done (and actually got done) I've got to insist on it line by line myself.

Given that-- after practicing that, under my duress, and being very happy once he'd gotten good solid info -- my mechanic's expecting to be ordering from CCR now, and said he wished he'd known about them sooner.

I smiled and said, well, if you'd taken a little more time listening to what I told you in April when I first came in .... and he said, yeah.