Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tune up Q's

not necessarily, so long as you're getting enough spark for thorough fuel combustion new igntion components may or may not give you any increases depending on mileage and condition of the old ones. you gapped the plugs properly and used NGK plugs or what?

are you worried about your gas mileage?

how many miles do you have?

02 Sensor is probably a good item to address.

What car do you have would be helpfull e.g. carb, spfi, mpfi, year and miles? Is your ecu throwing any codes (if you have efi) or has the carb ever been rebuilt? Like are there any other symptoms other than the bad mpg? btw: how many miles are you getting to the gallon now?

1987 GL Wagon. Carbed, 173K, supossed to be a newer engine, not really sure. I am getting 22MPG right now. New NGK plugs, Accel coil, 7mm silicone wires. Would like to get at least 25MPG. I drive 60 Miles round trip to work every day, and boost in milage would be great. I plan on addressing the O2 sensor this weekend, if it doesn't rain.

... a carbed engine won't have an O2 sensor. Or at least it shouldn't.

How fast do you normally drive? That makes a difference. Also, are your tires fully inflated?

I got a boost from ~23mpg to ~27mpg by changing my O2 sensor, but I have a SPFI GL, so that actually matters to it.

One thing that might help some - since you're running an aftermarket coil, you can gap the plugs a bit wider. On mine, stock is 0.044" and most people seem to suggest 0.050" works better with an aftermarket coil. I need to get around to regapping mine & see if it affects anything.

-=Russ=-

Russ needs to study a little but more.

There were many carbed cars with 02 senors

The carb and the mixture is controlled with duty solenoids

that adjust the air bled into the emulsion tubes

the 87 2 wd model will have one, 4wd do not

It still could have an 02 as no drivetrain info was given

Russ - no problem at all, if I do not learn something every day- I consider the day a waste - please see my signature

cd,

Russ is correct you do not have an 02 sensor nor do you have a ECU (Emission Control Unit) a.k.a. engine computer

You are at the mercy of the Subaru emission engineers, who tried desperately to make your engine pass US emissions

without the aid of any electronic control (thermo vacuum devices had to "make due")

There is one light at the end of this tunnel that is not an on coming train.

His name is Kerry, he works inconjunction with CCR Inc.

If you really want to fix this, email him - he is a true guru when it comes to this carb and it anomalies.

See this link for Rubuilders

http://www.ccrengines.com/roobuilders/

Hope this helps

I looked under the car yesterday, there is no O2 sensor. I am now out of ideas to fix my mileage. All I have left is the exhaust, which will be done on the weekend of the 9th next month. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.