Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fun at work

Funny that this came up right now: I just got my forklift certification, and they warned SPECIFICALLY against trying to use a car to pull our small 6000lb forklift out of a rut. Doesn't matter what gearing you have if the traction isn't there.

Glad it worked for you, though. :)

a mud type traction would allow wheelspin enough at a high rpm to get things moving so long as it has a bite. if it could get a momentum on the fork lift 6000 lbs will start to roll

i put a hitch on the sedan and it tows quite nicely in 2wd. i towed another subaru to michigan, got into some slick roads, 4 lo and hi maintain good control. mind a vehicle in tow can push you around, sideways down town stay on the gas and pull out of it

a mud type traction would allow wheelspin enough at a high rpm to get things moving so long as it has a bite. if it could get a momentum on the fork lift 6000 lbs will start to roll

Hey Miles, forklifts tend to dig holes with their tires, and then you have to pull them out of the holes... lots harder than just a nice flat pull, and usually on soft ground to begin with. "Momentum" doesn't work terribly well when your moving car is 2000lbs and the stationary, stuck vehicle is 6000-12000lbs of cast iron on solid rubber wheels.

It's obviously possible. But then again, its also possible to jump over 10 school busses in my sube. But I think that I will pass on both. :grin: