Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building a brat

I have found 2 potential brats for sale here. One is in really nice shape, but i think the owner thinks it is nicer than it is. The other needs attention, but most of the important stuff is there.

I was wondering about a few things:

How haard is it to put a turbo engine in a naturally aspirated 86? Also, doesnt the 5 speed mount right up? Can you add an AC? What about Cruise control?

Which years had the cyclpos middle headlight? Which year had just two round headlights?

Thanks.

-jack

CC can be added fairly easily, actually, I have a genuine subaru cruise control with everything needed still in the box. Five speeds can be added easily with the help of Jerry's modification kit. I think it's like 100 bucks. I have heard many great things about it. If you are gonna go turbo, then I suggest finding a turbo motor, don't forget to grab the ECU (BRAIN). You don't want to just add a turbo to a NA car because of the compression and like I said earlier the eecu. bOZ

Adding a turbo motor is NOT as simple as grabbing the motor and the ECU - you need practically the entire donor car. The whole engine bay is different, the cross-member is different, the wireing harness for everything is different. Even the battery tray is on the other side of the car (has to be cut from the donor car, and welded in). It can and has been done though, so if you really want to do it, find a beat-up Turbo Wagon, and use it for a donor. If you do the turbo engine, then it will already have AC, but you will need the condensor and evaperator from the donor car as well - and all the parts under the passenger side dash that hold all that junk.

GD

The cruise wasn't modified, the car was. As for the CC, let me see if I can find it then we can talk price. I don't want your kidney because I am not Subaru however, this is expensive to buy and is brand new with instructions. We will talk a fair price. I am not gonna use it so I might as well sell it. Boz

• 4 weeks later...