Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Key stuck in the ignition

My wife used the wrong key in the Brat yesterday. It is now stuck in the on position and won't come out. Any thoughts out there on what to do. I don't quite understand how to take off the lock. Would a locksmith be able to get the key out or would they just replace the whole ignition lock set. I have it torn apart enough now I can start it but I really need to get it fixed tomorrow.

Hi, unfortunatly, this happens all to often in our cars. I have had this strike twice in the last month. On the first occasion, one of our members sold me a new lock with keys that I had a lock smith install. On the second occasion, I found a NIB set on the bay and installed it. Removal, driving with a screwdriver key for a while and a locksmith are the best route. The switch is held in the back by a single screw and will work as mentioned. It is a roysl pain to remove the lock mech. from the collum, but it can be done. Use a cut-off wheel to slot the broken off on purpose screws, and they will turn out with a screwdriver. I tried drilling them with an angle drill, but they are a little on the hard side and you will need screws anyway. Hope this helps, Bradd

• 6 years later...

If you're key is stuck in the On position, (wont turn left) this is caused by the tumblers inside being rusty as all get out and loose. They fall into position and won't move back to allow the key to turn back.

Take some good penetrant (WD 40 will work but something silicone based is better) and squirt it liberally into the ignition. Tap on the key firmly but lightly with a hammer being sure to keep it square and straight so as not to break the key off.

After a couple knocks you should see the key go in a fraction. Use Pliers to rotate back to the left. I have used this method multiple times and works every time.

I recommend getting a new ignition or having this one re-keyed at this point.

If you're key is stuck in the On position, (wont turn left) this is caused by the tumblers inside being rusty as all get out and loose. They fall into position and won't move back to allow the key to turn back.

Take some good penetrant (WD 40 will work but something silicone based is better) and squirt it liberally into the ignition. Tap on the key firmly but lightly with a hammer being sure to keep it square and straight so as not to break the key off.

After a couple knocks you should see the key go in a fraction. Use Pliers to rotate back to the left. I have used this method multiple times and works every time.

I recommend getting a new ignition or having this one re-keyed at this point.

I might recommend checking the thread date before responding ;)