Ultimate Subaru Message Board

liftkit question...

Subaru_dude

does putting a lift on a Subie make it any worse on axles? it seems like it would since the angle between the middle of the wheel and the differential is more extreme... yet I haven't heard anybody whining about it. And do I need to get my gas tank cleaned out cuz it sat for a year and it seems to be clogging fuel filters kinda fast... and it won't hurt a carbed engine to completely run it out of gas will it?

thanks, Jordan

when lifting a soob, either your own build or a kit install, you are making a body lift. all the suspension mounting points are spaced evenly away from the body, so therefore the suspension geometry remains the same, just 3 or so inches away from the body

thanks Fox... instead of spending $450 on a weber carb, i'm gonna get headers, 2.5" exhaust with a high-flow cat, a k&n air filter, and a 3 inch lift. and I got under the car and looked on the back of my diff..... it said it was a 3.9 but i couldn't see anywhere that it said LSD... if it's a 3.9 does that automatically mean it's an LSD?

thanks Fox... instead of spending $450 on a weber carb, i'm gonna get headers, 2.5" exhaust with a high-flow cat, a k&n air filter, and a 3 inch lift. and I got under the car and looked on the back of my diff..... it said it was a 3.9 but i couldn't see anywhere that it said LSD... if it's a 3.9 does that automatically mean it's an LSD?

No if it is it'll say LSD on the sticker, and if you go with a 4" lift kit there will be some axle strain but not much, 3" no additional strain.

no sorry dude, your rear end is just a plain-jane 3.90 open-diff, just like mine. as fox said, body lifts dont ever encounter any part of the suspension, but it does allow you to run taller and wider rims and tires for added ground clearance, so if you get a 3'' lift and 27'' tires on your car, your looking at about a 5'' gain in overall ground clearance, which is a real plus when your in the mud and snow. good luck with your mods, have fun.

~Josh~

if i'm gonna be doing some mud slinging.... should i get an LSD or should i be a real man and get stuck? lol... I'm gonna get an LSD first, maybe from a junkyard or something... I got an old buddy who has so many damn Subarus it's almost pathetic how many just sit and rust away... his oldest one is a 1972 Subie..... but it's also sitting at the bottom of a ditch behind his property... kinda sad, such a nice car.

does putting a lift on a Subie make it any worse on axles? it seems like it would since the angle between the middle of the wheel and the differential is more extreme...

This really depends on what lift type it is.

• Suspension Lift: Adjusts the suspension higher / lower, and there fore angles at your CVs and DOJs. Fuji Heavy Ind. put adjustable suspension on 4WD models, either the manual or pnuematic. They state clearly that it's more wear on the axle assemblies with their modest suspension lift.
  • Body Lift: This puts spacers between your unibody and your main subframes (basicly; there are some details to making it work properly ;) ) This does not effect your suspension geometry and your CV / DOJ angles will be fine. A good xample would be a Back Yard Boy's lift kit.
  • Both! Yes lots of vehicles run both.

Lots of things can break offroading or you can get stuck. That's part of the risk that makes the reward so much sweeter :drunk:Its great to be oudoors, with friends, camping, and a bonfire !_!

having a dual range tranny, and a 3.9 diff, you would need an lsd diff with the 3.9 ratio also. but there is no 3.9 lsd, but lsd came as 3.7 gear.

in order for you to use an lsd you would have to swap an lsd carrier onto a 3.9 diff, or vice versa swapping a 3.9 ring gear onto a lsd carrier.

anyway it can be done, but welding it may be more practical.

with a welded diff, you could pull off a rear axle for stree and install it right quick for some baja'n