Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

how far should I advance my timing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 01 September 2003 - 11:04 AM

I've heard 8 to 10 is good, but if I'm really wanting the performance out of my 92 octane gas, then 12 would be good right?

how far should it advanced? thanks.

#2 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:47 PM

If maximun power is what you are after, you can advance the timing up to the point that you start to get pinging on hard acceleration. If you are running 93, you'll be able to speed things up considerably.

I would keep the disty adjustable, and bump it up a bit gradually (every time you fill up), paying attention to drivability and performance. Back off as soon as you start getting adverse symptoms. Eventually, you'll find a "sweet spot" where the car is running at maximun potential. That's when you lock it down, and record the timing.

Don't screw around with other brands of gas, or additives when you get it running just right. High performance ignition upgrades aren't a bad idea either if you want to go the timing advance route.

The downside is that fuel economy will drop noticebly. Don't be surprised if it drops to 20 or less.

good luck, John

#3 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 01 September 2003 - 10:50 PM

[Jon] Well, my average before timing was 35mpg. So I think a change of that much is waay too dramatic. But it is advanced to 12 now, and I'm getting some clutch slipping when I try to spin my tires (hehe) So to really take effect, I think i need to do some work past the engine aspect of my car.

So far now:
coil, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, 2" ID Turbo Muffler, 9" chrome air filter assembly, Valve cover breather mods, PCV valve change, O2 Sensor change, timing at ~12.

I now need to get a new clutch (but not as bad as Andrew's sold XT!) and find out if my passenger side exhaust flange is warped or not. So that's the plans for the future (beyond new axles, and buying Caboobaroo's calmaster wheels of course)

#4 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 02 September 2003 - 03:14 AM

Dagnabbit Jon, like, hit Logout before ya post when yer at my house :-P:moon: :moon:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users