Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how far should I advance my timing?

If maximun power is what you are after, you can advance the timing up to the point that you start to get pinging on hard acceleration. If you are running 93, you'll be able to speed things up considerably.

I would keep the disty adjustable, and bump it up a bit gradually (every time you fill up), paying attention to drivability and performance. Back off as soon as you start getting adverse symptoms. Eventually, you'll find a "sweet spot" where the car is running at maximun potential. That's when you lock it down, and record the timing.

Don't screw around with other brands of gas, or additives when you get it running just right. High performance ignition upgrades aren't a bad idea either if you want to go the timing advance route.

The downside is that fuel economy will drop noticebly. Don't be surprised if it drops to 20 or less.

good luck, John

[Jon] Well, my average before timing was 35mpg. So I think a change of that much is waay too dramatic. But it is advanced to 12 now, and I'm getting some clutch slipping when I try to spin my tires (hehe) So to really take effect, I think i need to do some work past the engine aspect of my car.

So far now:

coil, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, 2" ID Turbo Muffler, 9" chrome air filter assembly, Valve cover breather mods, PCV valve change, O2 Sensor change, timing at ~12.

I now need to get a new clutch (but not as bad as Andrew's sold XT!) and find out if my passenger side exhaust flange is warped or not. So that's the plans for the future (beyond new axles, and buying Caboobaroo's calmaster wheels of course)