Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lil' roo, awakening from the grave... small update

Rooinater

well... today was the day. i got little roo back from the base impound lot. oh how ragged did she look... one flat, a dead batt and all the broken diff problems i left her back in the states with. filled the tire up and towed her back to the barracks.

but it was definately an exciting day. got a new battery, some oil, ordered a new voltage regulator and cleaned my air filter. poured a little gas in the carb and keyed her over. coughed like she wanted to start. gave her another turn and she stumbled and rumbled to life! definately exciting! let her idle and warm up a little. the gas is not really the best gas, it's been sitting for almost a year... i knew she wouldn't drive, cause of the broken diffs and some problems. but put her in gear and 4wd... and checked the drivelines. to verify that they were all turning and it was a problem with the diffs.... all three turning away. so sunday i'm cracking open the diffs and checking what's wrong with each one. order some parts and get her back on the trail.

my goal is mid april or so to get her running and on the trail again. with luck!! depending on how much time i can get away from work.

Semper Fidelis,

Jared

post-177-136027599801_thumb.jpg

i would love to. if it wasn't in the middle of a training cycle. i'm working 7 days a week 12 hours a day until april 26th. we have operational comitments to to WTI. weapons training instruction for the pilots. we don't finish till the end of april. the earliest i could try, is mid may.

both diffs are still messed up. all it is going to take is some parts from the northwest. shouldn't be too huge of a deal. hopefully... i should find out sunday, how big of a deal it's going to be, when i start tearing the diffs apart. i'm gonna try to drop them tomorrow. and as soon as my tax return hits. then i'm planning on ordering tires. there's a lot that needs to be done first. some test runs to make sure all is par and good to go for that long of a trip. but i am dieing to go. if operational comitments don't get in the way, i'll have the new rig for fall 4xing season... hint hint...

lil' roo is staying the way she is for now. i got a yota axle for her, maybe some time down the line i'll put it in. but right now all my money is going into another project.... :brow: i still got the roll bar i need to put in to... i really need to before little roo winds up on her side a second time...

uhh... being stupid... all were heavy foot associated and low gearing... i was still getting used to that. oops... i know the open all the spiders blew apart, haven't opened the lsd or the once welded......... but let's put it this way... i can put it in 4low and first gear. then step out and watch all 3 driveshafts turn... it's being worked on. hopefully in the morning or tonight i'll get those diffs dropped, drained and opened. hopefully.

Jared

have you been hanging around john's house?? if so shhhh.... but little roo is a sweet one too! i just need to fix her up. then probably sell her when her replacement gets done... or not, haven't decided.

here's pics of what's wrong with the lsd diff. i'll send pics of the internals of the other diffs as i crack them open.

post-177-136027600309_thumb.jpg

post-177-136027600318_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well went to the hobby shop today and knocked out a lot of the work on her today. welded up the second diff. so i have one welded and a spare welded one for when and if the other one i welded blows up. also repaired the broken stub axle in the lsd today. so as soon as the rtv dries i can fill them tomorrow and place them into the car. then drive her to the hobby shop and change out the front axles. do an oil and fluid changes, and make sure everything is topped of and kosher... then maybe by saturday if all is goes well, for my birthday i can get a little wheeling in before i go get trashed for my 21st b-day!!!! :drunk: :drunk: :grin: :grin:

i wish i was up that way too! the rocks are bigger down here though. :brow:

got a party to go to tomorrow evening, then pop-a-tops saloon and platinums. but the good news is i'll hopefully have some more offroad pics of lil' roo soon. filled the diffs and hooked them all up. replaced one of the front axles. she drives on her own now!! tires are way out of balance and screwed. so freeway is out of the question. thank god there's a lot of trails and stuff close by... but tomorrow i'm replacing the last axle in the front. changing all the lubricants in the tranny, tcase and engine. then gonna go out on a simple trail. take pics and have some fun before i hang up my keys for the night! it's making a funny noise somewhere in the tranny area. so i'm gona put some of that lucas gear oil in her with the oil change. see if that'll shut her up.

put if i get out wheeling i'll make sure i take a bunch of pics!

oh did i mention i refabbed the rear suspension brackets. so i could detune the rear coilovers so that they are softer. a hell of a lot better than the stiff ride. and it now sits level or with a very small rake, with the rear shocks adjusted all the way down. also i need to find a cap or a nissan speedo cable to plug that hole on the tcase. it leaks oil from the automatic oiler for the cable or something.... guess i'll have to figure that out. out get a speedo cable cut the cable out and tack weld it closed... or something.... not sure need to see one to find out. what year nissan do i need to buy the speedo cable for??

might try that. well to start off my birthday... flat in the sidewall. so i had to go get new tires... that's a bunch of money i didn't want to go and spend... then the tranny is dumping oil out of the the front of it... or it appears to be the tranny. engine doesn't seem to be losing oil... so new tranny... but the rest of her is working great. the new 31" tires are real nice, need to do a little more clearancing for the tires though. they like to rub offroad.