Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of mileage do people with standalone ECUs get?

Not sure if I'll get much response, since it doesn't seem like too many people around here are running standalone ECUs, but I'll ask anyway.

If a non-turbo EA82 is tuned as lean as it will run on the highway, what kind of mileage numbers pop out? I'm considering getting/building a standalone fuel computer for my GL, since I put absurd numbers of miles on it (5000 in the past month, roughly). I'd be running without a cat (though I normally run with a ferret), so I'm not worried about high EGTs. I'll put a wideband in for tuning, and under light load in my normal cruising range (3000-3500 RPM) tune it as lean as I can go without getting surging.

There's a side factor for this as well - I'm starting (slowly) on a project RX-7, that will eventually be pushing 400+ HP to the wheels. If I get a standalone & become familiar with it on my Subaru, it will be beneficial for tuning the '7 (rotary engines don't tolerate detonation at all). Plus, if I can get a significant boost in economy (from my 23-27mpg currently), it will literally pay for itsself in short order.

Is 70mph economy of 30+mpg doable, or does the stock ECU do a good job? Since the stock ECU will be cycling around 14.7:1 for emissions, I'd think running 16:1 or 16.5:1 would be better for economy, and there shouldn't be any problems under light load with detonation. I might be able to get a bit more power out of it as well.

Anyone have input on this? If not, I'll probably go ahead & do it at some point anyway, and provide some feedback.

-=Russ=-

Well, right now I basically have a straight pipe that ends under the car, due to exhaust system rust.

The plan I have for the exhaust is to put a presilencer (glasspack) where the cat would go, and then back to a normal muffler. It'll be quiet enough.

-=Russ=-