Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where are you guys at about half a tank, how many miles on your trip ? i am at half a tank from a 100% full tank and i am at 108 miles !!! doesnt that sound like an outragousely low figure! oh well maybe the awd and the san francisco hills that does it :confused:...what do you think about 108 miles at half a tank?

where are you guys at about half a tank, how many miles on your trip ? i am at half a tank from a 100% full tank and i am at 108 miles !!! doesnt that sound like an outragousely low figure! oh well maybe the awd and the san francisco hills that does it :confused:...what do you think about 108 miles at half a tank?

I get around 150-170 on mine.

I drive mostly highway and get between 28-31 mpg per tank.

I go by the trip odometer not the gas gauge.

96 OBW 2.5 22-24mpg highway trips don't

seem to improve my mpg.

I should have bought a 2.2 legacy wagon. Better

MPG and head gaskets.

I have heard that 96 2.5 get poor mileage, friends 2.5 98 gets 28-29 mpg.

so what your saying is odds are the gauges are inaccurate and its not something like an o2 sensor or something? wow 100 miles on e? wow thats REALLY inaccurate

How many gallons of gas do you put in when you fill it? Find out how big your gas tank is, should be in your owners manuale. When you fill up your tank do the math and see if your millage is terrible or if your gas gauge is off. Number of miles driven divided by the number of gallons of gas put in.

On my 97 Legacy 2.5 GT, the trip meter is at 160 at 1/2 full mark.

At last fillup, i got 23.8 Mpg, I usually get between 23-24 mpg, 90% highway driving.

My wife's 2.5 Altima got 23.6 at last fillup, also mostly highway so I guess Subaru are not the works gas guzzlers out there..

96 Legacy 2.2L. Big drop in mpg after I drove across country for 4 days. I'm at 100 miles at the half mark. I refill at 150 miles, looks like 1/4 tank left, but the gauge wanders all over the place like everyone else's. Getting 17-18 mpg. New cats, new plugs and wires, no improvement. (used to get 24-26 mpg)

91 Leagacy wagon LS /Auto

On my first tank I thought something was very wrong with the car as a little quick math was showing it getting worse mileage then my wife's Grand Cherokee. However when I fill up at empty it only takes 40 L on a 60 L tank. So my guage is out by 1/4 to 1/3. I've been averaging 9.5 L/100km ( 24 mpg US gallons) where as the Grand gets 13.5 L/100km (18 mpg I think) on the same commute.

In all-city driving, our Forester gets bang-on 10L/100kms. Recently, we got about 40cm of snow and traffic was brutal. It was the worst tank I've seen at 12L/100kms. Highway is about 8.0.

The OBW gets around 11.0 in the city and 8.0 highway. Pretty good for a 3600lb wagon with AWD.

Mine will say about the same. I can go at least 275 (thats where it hit when I gave in and filled it lol) my gauge likes to teeter up and down at E for over 100mi, it's like teasing me I swear

You too? Not only does my gas guage wander all over the place (mostly depending on how hard I corner), my Low Fuel Indicator "plays peekaboo" at me going on and off several times before finally going on hard, quite a few miles down the road. I also hit the trip meter when I fill up and generally get about 300-350 miles out of a tank with a good reserve left in the tank as well (most I have ever put in the tank was 14.5 gal, and it holds 15.8).

I'm also in the Bay Area, and travel all over the place going out to fix peoples Subarus (If I'm lucky) or other cars (if I'm not so lucky. . . Every time i work on annother kind of car, I love my Subaru more). I also do a bit of towing, and I go into the mountains a bit as well. I can get into The City twice (75 miles one way) twice on a tank comfortably. Do the calculations others have mentioned and if you are getting below 20MPG, give me a PM. I can drive out there and help you find the problem.

You too? Not only does my gas guage wander all over the place (mostly depending on how hard I corner), my Low Fuel Indicator "plays peekaboo" at me going on and off several times before finally going on hard, quite a few miles down the road..

I get a lot of the "peekaboo" games with my fuel light indicator as well.

I am getting about 19-20 mpg depending on my driving, regardless of fuel the type of fuel i put in. I am really thinking an O2 sensor will fix my issues, but i can't get the old one out.

I seem to get only about 25 - 26 MPG on the highway, at speeds between 100 - 120 km/h. I just got only 25.5 mpg all highway driving mostly 110 km/h. This blows. New plugs in, just changed the oil, going to replace the fuel filter this week. Hopefully that helps a bit. Perhaps the occasional WOT when pasisng isn't helping. I've yet to get enough city only driving to find my city mileage accurately, but combined city/highway is usually around 21 mpg so I figure closer to 18 mpg city. I had no idea it would be quite that bad before purchasing, but I still love the car.

I seem to get only about 25 - 26 MPG on the highway, at speeds between 100 - 120 km/h. I just got only 25.5 mpg all highway driving mostly 110 km/h. This blows. New plugs in, just changed the oil, going to replace the fuel filter this week. Hopefully that helps a bit. Perhaps the occasional WOT when pasisng isn't helping. I've yet to get enough city only driving to find my city mileage accurately, but combined city/highway is usually around 21 mpg so I figure closer to 18 mpg city. I had no idea it would be quite that bad before purchasing, but I still love the car.

When you say 25 - 26 mpg, are you refering to US gallons or imperial gallons? If it's Imperial gallons (Canadian mpg) then that is bad. My car sounds the same as yours and I get 30 mpg (24 US MPG) in mostly city/ short trip driving. Has it been really cold in Toronto recently? That can really kill your mileage.

I get a lot of the "peekaboo" games with my fuel light indicator as well.

I am getting about 19-20 mpg depending on my driving, regardless of fuel the type of fuel i put in. I am really thinking an O2 sensor will fix my issues, but i can't get the old one out.

Bring it to me. I will get the old one out. PM me to set something up. . .

Good point. I'm referring to US gallons (I figured it made more sense since most people on this site appear to be from the states). I suppose I just got ~29 mpg in imperial gallons then. It wasn't too cold during my trip, slightly above 0 °C. You're out in BC, right? Much easier on the vehicles there I suppose, both body-wise and less harsh cold starting.

I should note then that I got 9.1 l/100 km. I've never gone more then 300 km before filling, so I haven't seen a whole tank go yet. But I've checked for numerous 150 - 250 km trips now, and it seems to hover between 8.5 - 10 l/100 km on the highway depending on my driving. If i'm averaging 120 km/h, it's on the higher side. Plus my frequent need to go WOT when passing doesn't help either. But the engine makes the sweetest sound at WOT, and it's hard to resist.:cool: (even if it really doesn't perform as good as it sounds).

When you say 25 - 26 mpg, are you refering to US gallons or imperial gallons? If it's Imperial gallons (Canadian mpg) then that is bad. My car sounds the same as yours and I get 30 mpg (24 US MPG) in mostly city/ short trip driving. Has it been really cold in Toronto recently? That can really kill your mileage.

I just filled mine up now. I went 540 Km (341 miles) on 53 L (14 gallons)of gas. That's 9.8 L/100 km or 24 mpg (US gal) (or 30 mpg Imperial gal)

That's the furtherest I have ever gone on a tank. The guage has been on empty for the last 150 km. My low fuel light did not come on. Does anyone know how many litres you should have left when it comes on? I was going to wait until it did but I chickened out.