Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD Conversion - for the long term?

I'm thinking about doing the RWD conversion on my XT (5MT PB 4WD) but I'm wondering if anyone has done this for a long time? I know lots of people have done the conversion for a little while, or for some experimenting...but will everything be happy if I leave it this way?

Since it only snows every 100 years here.. I think I'll be alright w/o 4WD :D

I guess the other (not free) option would be to swap in the XT6 5MT AWD tranny, which may happen someday if I found one...

I too would like to know (sorry for the lack of insight...btw), as I blew my CV last night, pulled the axle when I got home, and have been running in RWD all day....kinda fun, will probably drive to duluth tomorrow on it. I also do alot of mudding, so I will be getting a new front axle, but should I keep the stub around for future use? or return it towards the deposit...

us lifted and t-cased folks run out of the rear output of the tranny %100 of the time, and never had a problem. Im running on 31" knobby tires, low range gearing and a welded diff. These all add considerable stress to the drivetrain. I havent had any real problems yet, and I havent heard of anybody else having problems either, even running more hp than me. With stock tires, I dont think theres anything to worry about, and you could drive in rwd for the life of the car without worry.

-check out vegablade's rear wheel drive video and you'll see e-brake smoke shows, donuts etc etc on slightly larger wheels/tires with no probs.

Do you offroad guys do anything beyond pushing the 4WD button? Is there a way to manually lock the trans in 4WD without depending on the vac. diaphragm always working? I'd hate to get stranded because my 20 year old vac. actuator started leaking, etc..

Thanks

us lifted and t-cased folks run out of the rear output of the tranny %100 of the time, and never had a problem. Im running on 31" knobby tires, low range gearing and a welded diff. These all add considerable stress to the drivetrain. I havent had any real problems yet, and I havent heard of anybody else having problems either, even running more hp than me. With stock tires, I dont think theres anything to worry about, and you could drive in rwd for the life of the car without worry.

-check out vegablade's rear wheel drive video and you'll see e-brake smoke shows, donuts etc etc on slightly larger wheels/tires with no probs.

Do you offroad guys do anything beyond pushing the 4WD button? Is there a way to manually lock the trans in 4WD without depending on the vac. diaphragm always working? I'd hate to get stranded because my 20 year old vac. actuator started leaking, etc..

Thanks

we have dual range transmissions that have fwd, 4lo, and 4hi on a selector lever instead of a single range vacuum pushbutton tranny. We just drive around with the tranny set to 4hi to use the rear output, and the front diff spinning without a load on it (no axles connected)

I think you could just rip the vacuum junk off, push the linkage into 4wd and it will remain in 4wd (well rwd) mode.