Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester Hates Wet/Damp Starts

I live in Iceland and needless to say the weater here is a little blustery at times. All winter long my 2000 forester has been running like a champ through cold, snowy, frozen, windy days. Since the weather has become milder, and if it has been damp or raining over night, I found in the mornings I had some hesitation and spluttering on acceleration, which went away once the car had warmed up and been running for a while. However, today my problem has become severe, the car won't start. last night was wet and windy. I shall wait until things dry a little before trying again.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be the root of my problem?

Sounds like a flawed component in the secondary high voltage circuit. Start by using a hair dryer to dry off the spark plug wires, coil, and igniter. Some people might use WD40 (water displacent, 40th try) to accomplish the drying. See if it will start then.If it does, lightly mist all the components with water in a dark area and look for any arcing.

This should lead you to what's wrong. Most likely just the plug wires, maybe a cracked coil pack.

Everyone have a good Easter!

How dirty is your engine compartment? If the components are dirty, moisture can absorb into the dirt and form a conductive layer, slightly shorting things. The blowing salt and gravel roads you likely experience are really bad for that. I've seen powerpole insulators glowing at night in many tropical islands from the damp salt layer. I've spent a lot of time at NAS Keflavik, mountain biked a lot with a group in Reykjavik. I cleaned a lot of salt off my gear when the wind howled, which was most of the time.

I've had good luck fixing your problem with spray silicone, rags and toothbrush. Wipe and scrub everything down, the silicone will clean and leave a waterproof, water repellant layer. It helps to pull the wires out to get them and the components under them clean. Might as well wipe down everything else in there while you're at it.