Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Checked CEL codes with Actron CP9125. Two codes came up:

1) P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold (Bank1)

2) P1507 ??

My questions:

a) Does the first code (P0420) mean I need to replace my catalytic converter?

B) Does anyone know the meaning of P1507? It is not on the list of CP9125 manual, nor on the CD they provide with the tool.

Much obliged,

Alex

OBD-II codes are sorted into generic and manufacter specific codes. The generic codes are the same for evey OBD-II vehicle.

Is there anyone that has posted the Subaru specific codes? There are lots of Mercedes enthusiasts that have sites with all the MB specific codes, but I haven't searched for any Subie sites.

There is a downstream O2 sensor that checks the cat-con, and the code typically indicates either that particular O2 sensor is failing, or the cat-con is failing. Now, that's not always the case. On other makes, I have seen all kinds of things throw that sort of code as it makes the downstream sensor see something out-of-whack.

The best course of action will be to find the Subie code and then hook into a Subaru diagnostics unit to read the adaptation values for all systems. I'd pay close attention to fuel trim (even though there is no fuel trim code, it can lead you in the right direction).

You could crawl underneath and tap the cat-con and see if there is loose material in it. It's done for sure if there is. Has the car seen lots of short trips? Common cause of catalytic converter failure. Also, did you drive with a CEL? If you drove with a fuel trim malfunction in the past, it can cause the cat-con to fail. Some people get a light and spend weeks or months trying to clear it themselves and wreck the converter instead of fixing the underlying problem.

In a pouring rainstorm that was like a solid sheet of water. I got a code reader and cleared the code and it has not come back. I figure the cat was either cooled so much by the water, or it misfired in the rain.

Just for fun I'm seeing how long it takes to return if it does.

2) P1507 ??

My questions:

Not necessaraly , clear the code and see if it comes back , make sure that both 02 sensors are working properly

B) Does anyone know the meaning of P1507? It is not on the list of CP9125 manual, nor on the CD they provide with the tool.

PO1507 is Idle Control System Malfunction (failsafe)

Does or has the engine ever stalled or has the idle stayed high ?

Much obliged,

Alex

SEA#3

SEA#3, first time CEL appeared a few months ago and perodically has been going on/off with a few days intervals. Recently it's been more on than off. No change in drivability. Finally I got the tool and checked the codes. (P0420 and P1507) My commute to work is at least 1 hr, but several times per week I do short trips (~2 miles each way) in the evenings. When starting on cold mornings the car engine does rev up to 2500-2800 rpm for 15-20 seconds, then drops down to 1500-1800. The normal (warmed up) idle is somewhere around 800-900 rpm. The car is 99 Legacy, MT, 168K mi. THe car was bought used. Judging by the air filter type - it is a California edition. I live in NJ.

Alex

SEA#3, first time CEL appeared a few months ago and perodically has been going on/off with a few days intervals. Recently it's been more on than off. No change in drivability. Finally I got the tool and checked the codes. (P0420 and P1507) My commute to work is at least 1 hr, but several times per week I do short trips (~2 miles each way) in the evenings. When starting on cold mornings the car engine does rev up to 2500-2800 rpm for 15-20 seconds, then drops down to 1500-1800. The normal (warmed up) idle is somewhere around 800-900 rpm. The car is 99 Legacy, MT, 168K mi. THe car was bought used. Judging by the air filter type - it is a California edition. I live in NJ.

Alex

Hey There.

My car has recently been having some issues with idle also. Unfortunately there was no CEL until the car would not start at all. The code was for the crank position sensor. I replaced this and it also fixed the idle problems.

Now for the point... In wanting to do some preventative maintenance after this incident I removed the Idle Air Controller and cleaned it out. Have you take a look at or tested this in your car? Mine was quite gummed up and cleaned up well with some carb cleaner. Might be worth taking a look?

-Heikki

BTW: Where in NJ are you? I live in Hunterdon Co., but also drive about an hour a day as I work in Bergen Co.

2) P1507 ??

My questions:

Much obliged,

Alex

In case this might help you with the P1507 code.

«The engine in my 2000 Ford F-150 Supercab started dying frequently, the dreaded "check engine" light came on and I did not want to take another $$$ trip to the dealers service department. So I do a little research on OBD and bought an Actron CP9135 OBDII AutoScanner at an excellent price. Plug it in, retrieve the "P1507" code, which translates to "Idle Air Control System Underspeed Error (Ford)". I check the IAC sensor and discover it's not plugged in right. I fix this connection and the problem disappears! If you have a modern (post 1996) vehicle and you do a little of you own auto work (turn a wrench now and then) you need this OBD box. Actron makes an excellent product at a very good price. (If you have an check engine light on - you need a OBD box!)»

See this also:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/