Ultimate Subaru Message Board

’86 cruse control questions?

I picked up a GL Coupe parts car from TheMeatWagon last week (thanks again Andrew), it has cruse control with the controls on the turn indicator stick but all writing is rubbed off them. The switch rolls forward and back and has a button in the end, what is each function? I think I’m going to put it in my ’87 RX, which would have had the controls on the steering wheel, but I think I’ll just put switches on the dash. Where ahould I look for the control box?

Gary

roll forward is on/accell

push in button is set/coast

roll back for turning it off

the control box is located somewhere above and behind the hood release lever

that type of cruise was done as a dealer add-on, so you should be able to seperate the wiring harness for it *relatively* easily - I want to find a wiring diagram for it myself (for troubleshooting reasons)

of note - it has an extra yellow wire that goes to the ig. coil

Good Luck!!

good possibility that that is the case - it was a dealer install, and maybe the dealer screwed up - that's big news :rolleyes: - that's one reason I want an orig wiring diagram/dealer install manual

double-check by seeing which movement causes it to accelerate - same switch, so it should do same thing for on/accel or set/coast

I have an orig. buyer's guide from 1985 that has a beautiful pic of the control I can scan and email you (PM me - I would not be able to scan it till the weekend) - I would send a pic of mine, but it has rubbed off too! - gotta love that feature

I assume you don't have digidash in the car? if so, then the digidash cruise system is COMPLETELY different, and if you have cruise on your turn signal, somebody has definately screwed with something

Mine defiantly looks to be the dealer installed version, the wires from switch run along the out side of the signal lever with shrink tube around them. No digi-dash, this is a ’85 GL 3-door with D/R 5-speed. I’ll have to do some more testing. Dose the pic in the buyers guide look like this?

Imp03_99.jpg

That’s the shape of my switch, are the functions the same.

Gary

yep, the angle of it on the turn signal is slightly difft (elongated side points up) but the rest is the same - just out of curiosity - you mention a 1985 3-door - I thought those weren't made until '86? Do you mean hatch, is it really an '86, or is my brain on vacation?

I think all dealer add-on cruise control systems are pretty much identical - not all have the same control setup, but I have seen the difft control modules from difft years, and they look identical (I have one off a 1988 I am keeping as a spare), as well as the wiring harnesses - the only difference seems to be the control button placement/setup - some DL's seem to have them where the electronic mirror controls go on other models

Its a 3-door, same body as my '87 RX 3-door. And yes it could be an '86, the guy I got it from said it was an '85 (I think), but I havent looked at title that close, maybe a late '85 build date.

I plan on using dash mounted switches (dont wanna change the wheel), anybody have the dash mounted "DL" switchs, Maybe a pic? I was just gonna go with a momentary rocker and a push button.

Gary

I know you should be able to get a set of "DL" (for lack of a better name) switches from www.halspartsandservice.com - he'll be reasonable about the price if you tell him what you are doing (I assume this is for your ultamite RX project (2dr sedan)) - I saw them in his junkyard - I may be able to get them for you next time I am up there, but it will be a while (like several months)

EDIT:

His website appears to be down, here is all his other contact info:

Hal's Parts and Service, Inc. 3787 Hwy. 21-221 North

Sparta, N.C. 28675

Phone: 336-372-6252

Fax: 336-372-7072

E-mail: EnglishAuto@skybest.com

• 2 years later...

Hi, This is my first post, so bear wih me. I bought my soob, an '86 GL wagon (Sooby-Doo) a couple of months back, from my chiropractor who'd bought it for parts. Later, he found the body & frame in such good condition that we worked together to install another engine & MT (the AT was junk). It was such a hoot that I bought the car.

Long story short, it has full power + the cruise control on the end of the turn signal lever that you've been discussing. I have not been able to get that thing to work. I finally found the CC brain above the hood release (in fact, it uses the hood release mounting screws ). There sure are a lot of wires to the brain.

I'd be very interested in obtaining the wiring diagram for this unit. I think the problem is electrical, because I can apply vacuum to the rubber tube coming off the little black round thingy on the passenger side shock tower, and the engine immediately roars. So the tubing and the vac solenoid attached to the accelerator is OK.

Does that yellow wire attached to the coil, go on the negative or positive side? That may be my problem. Also, is there any light to indicate that the unit is 'on'? I've looked through several posts that mention a light when the unit is on, but I think they are newer cars. If there's no light, how do you know if the thing's on? If there is a light, where is it?

I was able to get a wiring diagram of an '87 CC fom the local dealer's FSM. However, it is completely different....has its own vac pump & a couiple of relays that I haven't found on mine. If anyone needs that diagram, let me know.

After reading through 11 pages in the 'cruise control' link, this is the first discussion I've found specific to the '86 CC with the control on the end of the turn signal lever. I like to find out more about the operation, controls, & (especially) troubleshooting. Anyone else have an '85 or '86 with the control on the turn signal lever? What problems have you had & how were they resolved??

Try adjusting the clutch and brake switches, and in your case you may need to properly hook up those switches or install them if the pedal assembly you used does not have them as you swapped from auto to manual. I would be very surprised if your problems are not related directly to your transmission swap being incomplete electrically (with regard to the CC).

Frankly it might be easier to install an aftermarket CC kit and just use the existing dealer add-on stalk. At least that way you would have detailed wireing diagrams.

GD

Thanks, GD. Appreciate the input...and that gets me a little further down the path toward where I want to be (with a working cruise control)

A couple of other thoughts & questions:

1. What's the difference between a CC for an MT and a CC for an AT?? Seems to me (and I'm really stretching this one and revealing my ignorance) that the only difference would be the additional switch for the clutch (to kill the CC when the clutch is depressed). Although I replaced the AT with an MT, I found an additional white 2 prong plug in the wiring harness, near the clutch pedal. It is the exact size & shape for a clutch switch (which I have, but have not yet installed). I found a thread somewhere that stated the 'brain' above the hood release handle had one color of tape or paint on it for AT, and another color paint or tape for an MT. Any confirmation on that, and does it apply to the '86, specifiacally. What were the colors & which trans did each apply to??

2. For the clutch & brake switches: they should be hot all the time, except when the brake and/or clutch is depressed....right? If that's so, then if a jumper wire were to be installed in each of the 2 plugs in the wiring harness, instead of plugging them into the clutch & brake switches, the cruise would work, but not shut off when either brake or clutch was pressed....right?? I may try this just as an experiment & be ready to turn the key off to kill the system. .............Or are these 2 circuits supposed to be off all the time and activated (closed) when the clutch/brake is depressed. I tested the brake switch & got continuity on my multimeter when the brake pedal was depressed. If this is true, then removing the plugs from the brake & clutch switches would make the cruise work all the time no matter which pedal was pressed....right?

3. If the clutch & brake switches check out...either makes or breaks the circuit when pressed, and the vacuum to the accelerator works, what tests can be run on the rest of the system? Should one of the pins in the plug that conects to the end of the turn signal lever be hot all the time?? Which one(s)??

If I pull the 'brain' down from its post above the hood release handle and pull the long flat plug out of it, what electrical tests can I run from there?/ One of those wires has got to be hot all the time the engine's running. Which wire might that be??

GD, if you have any of this info.......or if anyone else does.......it would be greatly appreciated.......And I'd still like an '86 FSM CC vacuum/wiring diagram & troubleshooting chart.......thanks in advance........

SG