Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'96 Leg Outback Overheating still...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kman

kman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Marin County

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

Well, my research on this very helpful site seems to indicate that my head gasket is blown but I'd thought I'd run it by you guys before I bring it in to the shop yet again.

The car overheats very predictably on steep hills. Driving around town, idling or driving on freeways the temperature stays fine I've had the water pump replaced and the thermostat replaced recently. A test for exhaust gases in the coolant came up negative several months ago but now I'm seeing little black crumbs in the expansion tank and generally dirtier coolant. Also, when the car overheats I lose heat to the cabin (air blows cold). The first time it really overheated on a steep hill recently the expansion tank filled up so much it boiled over.

Is it bad to drive the car even when it's not overheating? This happens really only going up steep hills so it's been easy enough to avoid. But now I need to do a 100+ mile drive (mostly flat) and I'm afraid to do it.

Will draining and replacing the coolant help me drive the car a little bit more? I don't have the money for these repairs.

I have noticed also that the car is idling lower nowadays, sometimes stalling when cold. The engine seems to stutter from time to time too...

Any thoughts? Is there a way I can do a sniffer test myself? And finally, can anyone recommend a really truly good subaru mechanic in Marin or the Bay Area?

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 kman

kman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Marin County

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:00 AM

I did the bubble test today....

drove up a steep hill and checked for bubbles in the expansion tank... sure enough it was bubbling steady... yet another symptom for the worst...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users