Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Intercooler Qs

Calebz has one of the tightest non-spider TMIC installs I've seen. The spider makes it even cleaner looking.

Mine currently vents to the atmosphere, but most people use the silences thats on the intake boot as a place to plumb their recirculation.

rrrrrrrvvvrrrvrvrvrr!!! ppssssttt!!!

I love BOV's venting to atmosphere but doesn't it run like a turd off throttle with stock engine management? I had to reroute to recirc until i went megasquirt....but now I'm bact to.....

garner

I can hear my BPV working, i like it better than the idea of having an obnoxious BOV.

DSC00420.sized.jpg

I used (3) 2 3/8" I.D. 90 degree rubber elbows and some 2 3/8" O.D PVC Pipe. Im having problems with the pipe staying together under boost, so Im going to re-do everything with some mandrel bends using 2 3/8" O.D. Stainless Steel. I'll also invest in some silicon couplers and maybe a silicon reducer.

The turbo outlet is 1 3/4" O.D. IIRC The reducer im using goes from 1 7/8" I.D to 2 3/8" I.D. wich fit perfectly on the 90 degree comming from my turbo.

-Brian

Calebz has one of the tightest non-spider TMIC installs I've seen. The spider makes it even cleaner looking.

I love BOV's venting to atmosphere but doesn't it run like a turd off throttle with stock engine management? I had to reroute to recirc until i went megasquirt....but now I'm bact to.....

garner

Thanks, its not actually that bad off throttle.. But then again, Its running an open downpipe right now so I haven't driven it that much..lol

PS.. I have a complete spidered motor in the garage... If I hadn't just built the motor thats in my wagon, I would use the spider now.. instead I am going to wait and see how long the current motor lasts.. will probably push it a little more now that I have a backup:D

I can hear my BPV working, i like it better than the idea of having an obnoxious BOV.

DSC00420.sized.jpg

I used (3) 2 3/8" I.D. 90 degree rubber elbows and some 2 3/8" O.D PVC Pipe. Im having problems with the pipe staying together under boost, so Im going to re-do everything with some mandrel bends using 2 3/8" O.D. Stainless Steel. I'll also invest in some silicon couplers and maybe a silicon reducer.

The turbo outlet is 1 3/4" O.D. IIRC The reducer im using goes from 1 7/8" I.D to 2 3/8" I.D. wich fit perfectly on the 90 degree comming from my turbo.

-Brian

dude.. i'd prolly remount your BOV, with the "inlet" as close to the TB as possible....you now have it right on your intake pipe (after filter). then when you WOT you then need to fill up that 2 feet of tube that goes to the BOV, then you can make boost.

You'll get a pile less lag if you do this.

• 1 year later...

Here's how I mounted a ford thunderbird intercooler. It was a snap, I even used the spare tire rod to mount the intercooler. I ran a 14.22 at 93mph with this setup in a locked 4wd GL-10 4 door. I eventually moved the BOV to the intercooler, it worked much better that way.

I have since gone to a water intercooler and I have an even larger water intercooler ready to go in as well.

post-6630-136027607368_thumb.jpg

Garner, you using the stock distributor or edis?

garner

dam Caleb your set up looks realy simple compared to the compact mess that mine is. some detail on how you did the throttle cable would be nice.

Im not about to reinvent the system on my wagon but I do have another RX coming to live here soon. hmm

heres my mess.

632121_2153.JPG