Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coloured dash Illumination?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Bowraville NSW Australia

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:13 AM

Has anybody changed the colour of their Instrument panel Illumination?
I was thinking of how it could be done, simply colouring the globes?, using LED's?, has anybody tried/done/succeded this before?

#2 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:03 AM

on my wagon everything is red...swapped in colored bulbs, some with leds, made custom red filter for the fan speed #'s, i still need to soilder in led's inside some of the switches as it's not 100% done..

i plan on doing the same for the coupe (red), however with the gauge cluster i will be using blue and ultra violet backlighting and dayglo needles, simmiliar to that new VW look

#3 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:19 AM

Mmmmmmm, UV there's an idea:brow:

My illumination is a yellowish colour (when i had it apart, the clear plastic wasnt tinted like my other one, it was green) so i assume that changing the colouring wouldn't be that hard.

#4 alexb1

alexb1

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

how are you going to change the green color , isn't it molded in the back?

#5 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

I should have explained that better,.. the one in my car has a clear back, the old one that is sitting on my bedroom floor has a green tinted back.

#6 alexb1

alexb1

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

are you sure , couse if we have the same panel and i think we do then it's not completly clear , some thing has to give the yellow colour .

when i had my panel a part it had also some kind of green/yellow background, i tryed to scrape it of but it is like one asembly so i cant see how to take it of.
try to paint one bulb and look if the color changes , if it does then you are wright it is clear and you can change to any colour.

#7 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Well, my '58 Chevy had red bulbs in all the instruments. They didn't make them then, at least in the sizes I needed, so I used glass dye and painted them red.

Dome light too.

#8 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

[quote name='alexb1']are you sure , couse if we have the same panel and i think we do then it's not completly clear , some thing has to give the yellow colour .
/QUOTE]

yes it should be clear - ran into same issue when I was working on my casette deck - the yellow tint seems to come from a sort of "dimming" on the bulbs (or they are naturally that color - dimmed incandescent bulbes are yellow - later models use a green I/P, early ones use yellow - theoretically you could color the dash any color you want - have fun

#9 Sister7

Sister7

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Port Orchard

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Well, my '58 Chevy had red bulbs in all the instruments. They didn't make them then, at least in the sizes I needed, so I used glass dye and painted them red.

Dome light too.

Finger nail polish also works quite well on bulbs and it's cheap. I've had several tail lights painted in this fashion.

#10 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:48 AM

Finger nail polish also works quite well on bulbs and it's cheap. I've had several tail lights painted in this fashion.

Thats the female solution to everything isn't it?:lol:

#11 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:50 AM

well if im correct the early ea82 gauges had yellow/orange numbers on the cluster where as the later ones (87+???) had white numbering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users