Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coloured dash Illumination?

on my wagon everything is red...swapped in colored bulbs, some with leds, made custom red filter for the fan speed #'s, i still need to soilder in led's inside some of the switches as it's not 100% done..

i plan on doing the same for the coupe (red), however with the gauge cluster i will be using blue and ultra violet backlighting and dayglo needles, simmiliar to that new VW look

are you sure , couse if we have the same panel and i think we do then it's not completly clear , some thing has to give the yellow colour .

when i had my panel a part it had also some kind of green/yellow background, i tryed to scrape it of but it is like one asembly so i cant see how to take it of.

try to paint one bulb and look if the color changes , if it does then you are wright it is clear and you can change to any colour.

are you sure , couse if we have the same panel and i think we do then it's not completly clear , some thing has to give the yellow colour .

/QUOTE]

yes it should be clear - ran into same issue when I was working on my casette deck - the yellow tint seems to come from a sort of "dimming" on the bulbs (or they are naturally that color - dimmed incandescent bulbes are yellow - later models use a green I/P, early ones use yellow - theoretically you could color the dash any color you want - have fun

Well, my '58 Chevy had red bulbs in all the instruments. They didn't make them then, at least in the sizes I needed, so I used glass dye and painted them red.

Dome light too.

Finger nail polish also works quite well on bulbs and it's cheap. I've had several tail lights painted in this fashion.