Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Overheat + intermittent heat

'98 Forester.

It all started with normal engine operating range, but no heat.

Many replacements already made (some I bet didn't need it).

It's not the:

- Heater core (routed around it to prove it wasn't suspect)

- Radiator (NEW one... though I'm sure the old one was fine)

- Head gasket (tests negative for CO in the coolant)

- Hoses (manual testing only, but they all feel strong)

- Water pump (brand new (at least it didn't cost $340 like the radiator)

- Thermostat (Subaru brand w/bypass hole)

Sill erratic heat production. Warms up normally, provides good heat, then bang, heat is gone.

It will go for perhaps 20 miles without a problem, then all of a sudden it pegs red on the temp gauge.

Any ideas?

-doug

Sill erratic heat production. Warms up normally, provides good heat, then bang, heat is gone.

It will go for perhaps 20 miles without a problem, then all of a sudden it pegs red on the temp gauge.

Any ideas?

-doug

The next time this happens, pull over, get out and look at the coolant expansion bottle. Any bubbles? Any sludge forming? Symptoms are classic of 2.5L Phase I headgasket failure.

Commuter

>The next time this happens, pull over, get out and look at the coolant expansion bottle. Any bubbles? Any sludge forming? Symptoms are classic of 2.5L Phase I headgasket failure.

I don't think I'll have a chance... it's getting towed 45 miles tomorrow to a Subaru dealer, for diagnosis. (pressure test, CO test)

As far as I know though, yes, there's plenty of bubbly in the coolant.. not sure about it in the expansion tank. I do know there's NO oil slick in there.

I'm guessing you're right about the HG. Not sure the best course to take if this is indicated (but not proven)... simply a new HG? or get a new engine, thinking it might be a cracked block? This engine has 120k on it, no problems minor or major before this.

-doug

Sorry, but I would bet the farm on a head gasket failure. Classic symptoms, and the exhaust gas "sniff" test often doesn't identify the problem until it's worse.

Smart move to fix it now. Don't wait for it to warp the heads or crack the block.

>Smart move to fix it now. Don't wait for it to warp the heads or crack the block.

I'm getting ready for that move... not quite there financially, but heck, who prepares for something like this!

What's a general estimate for HG repair? Just a guess.

Thanks.

-doug