Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ive searched past posts about cv joints because I think mine is bad. Most of the posts say you can tell on turns. What if Im getting the clunk-clunk -clunk upon accel going straight? At first it almost sounded like it was coming from right under the shifter but as I was driving it seemed to move more to the right front. It doesnt happen if I put my foot on the clutch and coast(trying to listen)and it also goes away at higher speeds. What Im trying to figure out is could it be an inner joint or something else? Im not too familiar with inner joints, drive shafts, half shafts and such. This is a 4wd 91 loyale. Ive only had experience with fwd saab shafts.Thanks in advance!!!!

PS any good suby mechs in central NY??????

Guest jclay

Are you hearing the noise while turning and while going straight? I run mine until they were so far gone as to be getting the noise both ways...

PS any good suby mechs in central NY??????

I have recently taken my '96 Impreza to Romona Subaru on Hiawatha on 2 occasions and have been very happy with the way I was treated. In fact, I had the clicking situation, and they replaced my right CV joint. Prior to replacement in addition to clicking when turning left, it occasionally made sounds when stopping, especially at parking lot speeds. I have put over 600 miles on the car since havig the work done 12 days ago and have no problems. The service guys down there put the customer first; they recommened using an aftermarket CV joint that they have installed many times and it saved me around $200. When was the last time you had a dealer help you save money by suggesting non-OEM parts?

I had taken the Impreza as well as my wife's '01 Forester to Bill Rapp many times and have unfortunately become disillusioned with them. The place is obscenely busy and they have more then once forgotten to perform specifc service I have requested. They have also tried to sell me PM work that they had already done a few hundred miles earlier! Taboo!

Although both are listed as "Stellar Performers," my experience proves otherwise.