Ultimate Subaru Message Board

catalytic converter gone bad

Just had my exhaust system checked for leaks and they're telling me I need a new cat at 650 bucks! Does anyone know a cheaper way around this? I need to get tabs shortly so I'll need to pass the emissions test, it's an 87 GL10 turbo.

Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks,

Keck

Is it burping out the intake or anything like that - usually cats do not go bad, people just think they do - chec to see how the exhaust feels - if it comes in bursts as each cylinder fires, then your cat should be OK - prolly a bad O2 sensor

you should feel a real power drain if your cat is clogged

if you do indeed need to replace the cat, most I've seen are around $300 - but that's aftermarket and parts only - probably an hour's labor tops

cats do go bad. usually because the fuel/ignition system is not working properly. you can always get a down pipe and install an aftermarket cat. it would fix half your problem. then you may need to have the car checked out to make sure its running proper.

a cat can be bad and not be cloged.

a cat can be bad and not be cloged.

didn't realize that - but granted on the east coast, our emissions tests (at least in NC) do not check for cat operation, just for the presence of it - the only way I have heard of them going "bad" is either rusting to pieces or getting clogged - neither of which I have ever had happen to me, or anyone else I know (but then again, I am anal retentive about my car running correctly)

if you can weld, buy a generic muffler and weld it in place of the old one. i bought a brand new muffler off a guy for 35 bucks and welded it in place. (high flow converter on top of that). easy to weld in place on subaru's. i wouldn't waste money on buying a bolt on part for it, way to expensive....unless you can find a good price on one.

i bought a muffler and a guy at a muffler shop charged me 35 dollars to weld it in place a long time ago before i did any welding myself. i'd go somewhere else, 650 is crazy.

Just had my exhaust system checked for leaks and they're telling me I need a new cat at 650 bucks! Does anyone know a cheaper way around this? I need to get tabs shortly so I'll need to pass the emissions test, it's an 87 GL10 turbo.

Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks,

Keck

Ya, the muffler shop told me my cat needed to be replaced too (the cat comes in that front section which is the y-pipe and everything). My husband took off the cover for the cat, and it was just a broken weld. He welded it up, and put back on the cover. Good as new.

hey, thanks a lot for all the help from everyone!

the shop i went to told me that basically the whole exhaust system needed replacing, the pipe between the manifold and cat is rusted out, the cat is somehow bad, didn't get specific on what was bad about it, and the pipe is a double layer type pipe that's hard to repair. so 650 was for everything done, still, too much for me to afford at this time! i'll go check out some other muffler shops tommorrow, or maye even a wrecking yard.

if one were to knock out the middle of that cat would one get more hp and better gas milage? more importantly, would one pass emissions? i'm guessing not.