Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How loud is a NA EA82 with a presilencer & straight pipe?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:09 AM

I'm planning to replace the exhaust on my GL this weekend or next, because right now it leaks so badly that I actually don't get any exhaust flow out the tip.

The current plan is to put a glasspack/presilencer at the back of the Y-pipe (no cats), straight pipe back, and possibly another muffler at the rear end.

My goal is improved power over stock, but also a fairly quiet exhaust note on the highway. The GL rides & drives like a luxury car, it may as well sound like it too. Growl when wide open is fine, but I don't want any sort of drone at highway speeds. I don't know if just a presilencer will do this, or if I should add a muffler as well. Possibly 2 glasspacks, one at the front, one at the rear?

Suggestions?

-=Russ=-

#2 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:12 AM

well i had a few different setups when i had the SPFI in the wagon

first i had stock y(with cat), stock resonater, no muffler>pretty loud but not to bad

2nd: stock Y, no resonater, no muffler> really really really loud, sounded compareable to a harley with pipes, sort of:rolleyes: . lots of poping when in high rpm's and letting off the gas

3rd: stock Y, no resonator, 2 1/2" pipe, OBX canister> not too loud and perfect IMO

4th: cateless Y, no resonator,2 1/2 pipe, OBX canister> it was loud again and anoying..without the cat i lost back pressure and my lowend suffered

hope that helps

#3 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:16 AM

oh and on my coupe i have stock Y, stock resonater, and a melon launcher...perfect sounding for a daily

#4 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

That setup will be LOUD. Glasspacks really don't do much. I'm pretty happy with my Flowmaster imitation muffler from Summit Racing ($15) with a straight pipe going to that. It makes some noise but nothing that I consider annoying, even on long drives (14+ hours).

#5 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,403 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

I've got a turbo muffler without any cats running 2 1/4 piping from the Y. It's got a rumble to it. Also, make sure the pipe is past the bumper. Otherwise, it'l resonate really badly around 3k rpms.

#6 Vegablade

Vegablade

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Concrete WA

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

dont do what i did and take off everything a foot behind the y-pipe, it gets a lot of attention and lost a lot of low end torque i did notice a small difference in higher end but nothing outstanding, before this i had everything stock except a glass pack were the muffler used to be, sounded good, also i cleaned out the cat by hitting it on the ground man, a lot of junk came out of that thing.

#7 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

Heh heh.
My exhaust systems keep removing themselves right behind the catilytic converter. :rolleyes: The EJ22 sounds nice like that, kind of a v8 rumble when idling and a nice howl up high. The EA82's sound bad though, real harsh and lots of backfiring. I did some illeagal driving with my old one and I had to have the pedal just right to coast without making noise, little too much and it would rip the officers ears off, little too far off and it would sound like a gunfight. The blue flames out of the back of the cat are cool though. :grin:

#8 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

on my brat I hacked the exhaust off right after the resonator-sounds decent not obnoxious but better sounding than stock.

#9 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

Glasspack works excellent as center baffle/muffler, gives way less back pressure and a mellow bellow, obviously lesser restriction. Only real noticable flaw was glasspacks are heavy ("flow tech redhots" == 7lbs) and old y pipe needs t have strong hanger at back of tranny.
Very non-annoying and gaining performance. I did this to my humble loyale recently, kept oem muffler in back (no packing, long lasting).

#10 simple monkey

simple monkey

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • bremerton

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

something i've seen more and more lately, has been bike mufflers. not in outrageous sizes, usually 2.25 in and 2.5 out. seen them on a couple integras, one on an FC3S (second gen RX7), and quite a few on the 80's corollas. my brother picked one up for his car for free, bike shops usually give away the stock pipes when people upgrade exhaust. just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users