Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help Pimping my 2003 Forester

Hi,

I have a 2003 Subaru Forester (non turbo). It's silver, got leather everything, premium everything, moonroof, etc.

I want to pimp it out more though and I'm thinking of throwing some 22's on it etc.

I am way open to any ideas ya'll may have including performance mods like turbo etc.

LETS PIMP MY RIDE!

Thanks

Rob in South Texas

www.myspace.com/exova

I'm gonna make ae statement right up front:

"NOTHING looks stupider than big tall ghetto wheels and skinny little rubber band tires on an SUV".

There's some fool running around like that in our valley in a Cadillac Escalade, and he's the joke of the county.

It flies in the face of the purpose of the car, might just as well slam it and put hoppers on it.

Find something real to do with your money.

Ouch!

Maybe check out www.subaruforester.com, there's some nice looking 'pimped' Foresters on there that will flat out scream. You may find it's not as simple as you think if you want to do it right... let me guess, you inherited the car?

There's some nice lowering springs out there that will drastically improve the handling of the car but lose ground clearance, and the same with larger wheels + tires with shorter sidewalls. In South Texas you likely don't care about ground clearance, which Mr. Montana up there may not realize... which reminds me, make sure you get some locking lugnuts so some vato loco doesn't steal your new spinnaz...

Make sure you do some reading so you don't potentially mess up what sounds like a nice car at the moment.

which reminds me, make sure you get some locking lugnuts so some vato loco doesn't steal your new spinnaz...

Careful.. I can think of more than a few Texas Subaru owners of hispanic type persuasion that would take exception to such comment.

Hi,

I have a 2003 Subaru Forester (non turbo). It's silver, got leather everything, premium everything, moonroof, etc.

I want to pimp it out more though and I'm thinking of throwing some 22's on it etc.

I am way open to any ideas ya'll may have including performance mods like turbo etc.

LETS PIMP MY RIDE!

Thanks

Rob in South Texas

www.myspace.com/exova

What you are calling "pimping" is called "ricing" in the circles I run in. The Forrester is just the wrong car to do that with. YOu could perhaps get away with it on a Legacy, or an Impreza would be prime for it ( WRX is a good place to start. . . ) I have to side with Mtsmiths on the look of low profile tires and oversized rims on a SUV class vehicle. I can go him one better though: I saw that on a Hummer H2 a couple of weeks ago. I laughed so hard I almost wrecked. . . It is a case where A and B simply do not belong together under any circumstances. . . Like a Pickup Truck made by Lincoln, or a station wagon made by Porsche (and yes, I have seen both of those as well. . .)

There is an old Harley saying "Chrome don't get you home". The Forrester is a car that is designed to get you home, no mater what is trying to get between you and that place. "Pimping" it will only take away from it, and add very little.

Just my $.02

Back in the 70's one of my brothers put sticky, very low-profile, and very wide tires on his ragtop Bronco. The truck was wide and short with a very stiff suspension, and not many sports cars could corner as well. He ended up cracking a few of those huge rims just from cornering so hard with such a heavy vehicle. He did pretty well on the dragstrip as well. My brothers and I have had a lot of crazy vehicles over the years, that was one of the most enjoyable. Your Forester won't be all that fast or unique for a much bigger investment, but maybe it'll be fun.

I'm pretty sure he asked for help on what to do and how to do it, not on whether you approve of it.
I'm reading between the lines. Pimping/ricing is mostly bolt-on accessories. Maybe the body panels will have to be painted to match before bolting on. New springs/struts might require jacking the car up and getting under it to bolt them on. A turbo or S/C kit will require basic mechanical skills, some time and tools. He just needs to pick through the many catalogs and websites to choose what suites his taste and budget, not really something a bunch of strangers can do well. But we're really good at giving opinions and philosophy!