Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think my car has an 80w, I could be wrong.

Where would I look for it? I seem to be having a problem w/ 1 channel.

If you have the good tape deck, you have an 80W amp built into the deck (IIRC, that is total , so you get 20W/chan). Are you sure your speakers are good? What symptoms are there to point to one chan being bad? I have a spare radio (of the type that is 80W) and live fairly close to you (well perhaps it is just close for me because I love to drive my Subie. . .). If you would like me to come up there and help you check it out, shoot me a PM.

Thanks thats very nice of you to offer.

I noticed my drivers door speaker was much quieter than the other 3, played w/ fader and balnce to determine. I decided the OEM speaker was probably toast and grabbed an old set of 140w kenwood 6.5"s out of my garage and installed them.

Same problem... so its either the amp itself or in the wiring, most likely where the wires pass thru the door hinge. In order to test I wanted to find the amp.

How do I know if I have the "good" deck?

In any case that's very helpful and good news, so I can just buy a high power deck and call it done, not mess w/ a factory amp and wiring.

Thanks again

Chris

I noticed my drivers door speaker was much quieter than the other 3, played w/ fader and balnce to determine. I decided the OEM speaker was probably toast and grabbed an old set of 140w kenwood 6.5"s out of my garage and installed them.

Same problem... so its either the amp itself or in the wiring, most likely where the wires pass thru the door hinge. In order to test I wanted to find the amp.

In any case that's very helpful and good news, so I can just buy a high power deck and call it done, not mess w/ a factory amp and wiring.

Thanks again

Chris

The good one says 80W on it. It is also the one that says "Logic Control System" on the tape door. It is made by Panasonic, and is the same for 93 as it is for 92. It is 1.5DIN (standard stereo slots) high, so you would need to get a spacer to put in an aftermarket stereo that is of a standard size (as most are). The total sterreo area for the 90-94 Subies is 2.5DIN. There was an optional CD player that is 1DIN high and plugs into the back of the tape deck/radio/amp. in 90 and 91, they had an AUX port on the front that you could plug a CD player (or, nowadays, an MP3 player like the iPod) into. Why they phased that out in 92 I dunno, but I puut the older radio into my car (with the CD player option as well) and now have this unit left over. There are a few lights burned out on mine, on the lower half of some of the preset buttons, but the sound is good. If you want, I can bring it up there for the price of a tank of gas. . .

Just an fyi. There isn't a separate amp, it's just what's in the head unit.

Also, 80w x 4 or 20w per channel is a max reading. Normal rms is around 7w or so. A better deck will have higher rms output then the factory deck.

you see that's why i never keep stock radios:D pioneer cd player/200 watts(50x4):headbang:

• 1 month later...

Thanks again

Chris

I too have the same stereo unit and have a problem with the driver's side door speaker being quieter than the others. I have checked the speaker and the wiring several times and they are good. I switched wires on the back of the unit to see if another channel would have normal output to the driver's door speaker and it DID. This leads me to believe amp channel 1 is shot.

I was able to find another stereo unit (same kind, Panasonic 80w cass) at the junk yard for $15 dollars. Hooked it up and guess what---same problem. I am stumped. Could it be that there is some kind of factory defect in these units or am I just losing my mind.

I've got the 80watt radio/tape player in my '90 Legacy wagon, and experienced the very same problem -- the volume coming out of the driver's side front door speaker seems very low compared to the other speakers. But guess what -- if you listen from the passenger side front seat, it sounds as though the driver's front door speaker is fine but the passenger's side front door speaker is low in volume! I've concluded that the apparent low volume in the driver's side door speaker when listening from the driver's seat is an acoustical quirk of the car's interior -- sound can behave very strangely in small enclosed spaces.

Curious if others experiencing this apparent problem in first generation Legacy wagons have tried listening to the sound system from the front passenger seat, and if they heard the same thing I did.

Zack

'90 Legacy wagon AWD auto 158.000 miles