Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am curious. I have seem alot of early 90 legacys in the J/Y here in So Cal.

From the looks of it, body is in good shape and motor looks intact.

I plan to pull the EJ motor for a swap.

What are some reason people would scrap a legacy?

is it Tbelt issues? IIRK EJ22 is non-inteference. so it's based on ignorance.

BW

I am curious. I have seem alot of early 90 legacys in the J/Y here in So Cal.

From the looks of it' date=' body is in good shape and motor looks intact.

I plan to pull the EJ motor for a swap.

What are some reason people would scrap a legacy?

is it Tbelt issues? IIRK EJ22 is non-inteference. so it's based on ignorance.

BW[/quote'] I see a few of them up here as well. Mostly it is age, and that Insurance companies will scrap them for whatever reason they think they can. Insurers look at the milage, and the age of the car to determine the value of the car, and on an early 90's Legacy, that usually means that they are not valued high enough to justify the premiums, let alone the cost of repairing anything that happens to them. . .

Well, that is my guess, anyway. .

How to determine engine & drivetrain condition by inspecting a non-running car? Any external signs of destruction besides a big hole in block? Spark plug condition or soot inside exhaust a good clue? Do crash impacts kill the motor from mechanical shock, even if the engine compartment is intact? I assume an experienced tranny tech could drop the pan and make a decision based on debris in pan.

Next question, how many men and what tools to bring to pull a motor at the U-Pull-It junkyard?

How to determine engine & drivetrain condition by inspecting a non-running car? Any external signs of destruction besides a big hole in block? Spark plug condition or soot inside exhaust a good clue? Do crash impacts kill the motor from mechanical shock, even if the engine compartment is intact? I assume an experienced tranny tech could drop the pan and make a decision based on debris in pan.

Next question, how many men and what tools to bring to pull a motor at the U-Pull-It junkyard?

Here's what I usually look for when I go motor searching.

I first see if there body damage. If yes it's safe to assume that vehicle was running when the damage occurred.

If no damage, look at the oil cap and oil dipstick. If it has any white residue it's probably blown HG. If no residue smell oil. Does it smell burnt. Possible bad rings. Best bet is to try and turn the engine w/a wrench. If it turns easily then the internal probably aren't damaged. Then pull the t-belt covers and see if they are intact. IIRK all EA82s and the EJ22 are non-inteferential. I think the EJ25 are inteferential. I think the only way for the engine to be damaged in an accident is if the car is hit in the front and something goes into the engine.

For the Tranny, if it's a manual, go through the gears and see if they shift smoothly. Drain the oil look for shavings. Most yards will guarantee their engines and trannys.

for tools, I would bring a metric socket set w/extensions, a breaker bar, wire cutters, flat head and phillip screwdriver

You can pull a motor yourself. It wouldn't hurt to have a friend come with you. Most yards will have a hoist of some sort to assist in pulling the engine out.

BW

the j/y i go to they have about 6 subarus all together(legs,obw,etc) and if i need an engine,alot of times they already have it out.specilly if it runs.friend picked up a 2.5 the other day for about $250. just needs to replace head gaskets and BOOM! a perfectly running engine.:brow: