Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thermal switch that turns the fans on automatically???

i was wondering if anyone knew the actual term for the switch on the radiator that gives a ground at a certain temperature to turn on the fans. mine is dead and needs to be replaced! all help is appreciated. thank you. the guys at the parts store were not very helpful.

i have mine hooked up to a small switch on my dash, when it starts to heat up a bit i just turn it on, works pretty good, not hard to run wires either.

Shortly after I did the same thing as you with mine, I found out (here on the board) that one is supposed to use a relay, which I did not. Since it has never shown any sighns of overheating (YET) I have not gotten around to figuring out how to do that. Another niggling little detail. Been busy rebuilding/restoring suspension.

Ill get to it though. We don't need no stinking fires. Which I guess is what COULD happen, without a relay.

Pyro

Shortly after I did the same thing as you with mine, I found out (here on the board) that one is supposed to use a relay, which I did not. Since it has never shown any sighns of overheating (YET) I have not gotten around to figuring out how to do that. Another niggling little detail. Been busy rebuilding/restoring suspension.

Ill get to it though. We don't need no stinking fires. Which I guess is what COULD happen, without a relay.

Pyro

The stock Subaru electric auxillary fan really dont draw enough amps to fry a good switch. I had a relay all wired in properly with the toggle switch up in the cabin. The relay broke off where it was mounted and I had used all crimp on connectors to wire the whole ciruct. Now I've ripped all that junk out, wired just battery <-> switch <-> fan all soldierd together; less wires, less fuss and havent fried a switch yet.

Rooinater; if you do decide to replace the thermoswitch; go easy on it during removal. Those side tanks are pretty wussy. Seen many a radiator at the junkyard JB Welded right there after a botched thermoswitch replacment. Good luck!

thanks. that's what i needed to know. i know all about the switch wiring, it's been wired up for awhile. right now it's dual fans through 2 relays. which are wired to only be able to turn on when the key is on (that way i can't forget them on...). also wired to be automatic when i fix the switch. it's a 3 position toggle switch, automatic, off, on. i have a crude diagram on my webpage, i think it's still there. after i get the automatic thermo switch fixed, i'll be rewiring all the switches and relays to the ground side. so i can do some fancy switch wiring...

thanks. that's what i needed to know. i know all about the switch wiring, it's been wired up for awhile. right now it's dual fans through 2 relays. which are wired to only be able to turn on when the key is on (that way i can't forget them on...). also wired to be automatic when i fix the switch. it's a 3 position toggle switch, automatic, off, on. i have a crude diagram on my webpage, i think it's still there. after i get the automatic thermo switch fixed, i'll be rewiring all the switches and relays to the ground side. so i can do some fancy switch wiring...

Wow - sounds like you got quite creative with the switches! I have mine hooked up to a switch, but I plan to hook the original one back 'original' with the thermoswitch and have a second fan in there on the manual switch as a back-up.

Hi, Son,

Maybe you should also check into the oil cooling if you have not already, I am going to do that with the turbo.:banana:

i've looked into it several times. evrytime some reason paypal won't work... so i'll try again soon. gotta fix the rest of the car too. i was busy buying something at the dealer today..........