Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Sube! New Questions, Part 2

Guest jclay

Hello again, I did warn you all that my new sube (97 Legacy L wgn 2.2 5sp AWD) would necessitate multiple questions...Technically this should be part 3, but oh well.

Should my car have a Low fuel light? If it does it's burned out, causing me to run out of gas on my way to work today, Luckily, i was able to hike to a nearby bussiness, borrow a gas can, then get a ride to and from a gas station from a cool guy who'd "been there"

Anyway, I was purposely running the tank down, expecting a light, and learned the hard way..

Thanks again,

Jared

Hello again, I did warn you all that my new sube (97 Legacy L wgn 2.2 5sp AWD) would necessitate multiple questions...Technically this should be part 3, but oh well.

Should my car have a Low fuel light? If it does it's burned out, causing me to run out of gas on my way to work today, Luckily, i was able to hike to a nearby bussiness, borrow a gas can, then get a ride to and from a gas station from a cool guy who'd "been there"

Anyway, I was purposely running the tank down, expecting a light, and learned the hard way..

Thanks again,

Jared

What was the purpose of running your tank down?

Guest jclay

No real point in running my tank down, i was just running late for work, and assumed that i light would come on, and wanted to see when that would happen in relation to the gauge

Thanks again,

Jared

Jared, If you were late for work, and that is why you were running the tank down, that is not "purposely" running it down. Your car does have a Low Fuel light. It may be inoperative at the moment, but it is there. Now that you know that it is inoperative, I recomend not letting the tank show less than 1/4 full (when it drops below this point, time to fill 'er up) at least until you can track down where the fault is, and repair it. Possable points of failure are the bulb, the sender, or the wiring in between (in order of likliness).

Besides the fact that running the tank really low runs the risk of sucking out accumulated crap from the bottom of the tank and clogging your fuel pump sock and fuel filter.

Jared, If you were late for work, and that is why you were running the tank down, that is not "purposely" running it down. Your car does have a Low Fuel light. It may be inoperative at the moment, but it is there. Now that you know that it is inoperative, I recomend not letting the tank show less than 1/4 full (when it drops below this point, time to fill 'er up) at least until you can track down where the fault is, and repair it. Possable points of failure are the bulb, the sender, or the wiring in between (in order of likliness).

Besides the fact that running the tank really low runs the risk of sucking out accumulated crap from the bottom of the tank and clogging your fuel pump sock and fuel filter.

I may be completely wrong, but isn't the fuel pickup at the bottom of the tank, and therefore picking up this "crap" all the time? Why would a low fuel level be any different?