Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale eating front tires

Not only did it absolutely devour a set of new tires in 5,000 miles, but the steering feels loose and pulls to one side or the other when accelerating. The wear on the front tires was to the outer edges. I had the front end aligned whenever I had the new tires put on, and those guys are usually pretty good about letting me know about anything worn they come across while doing the alignment (like ball joints or tie rod ends). I didn't feel any abnormal play in the suspension while I was rotating the tires last week either. I've priced ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, and struts. Aside from replacing these items and doing an alignment, is there any other likely suspect here. Would replacing these items be overkill? The car has 12*,*** miles on the clock now.

Mine started to eat the left or right rear (I forget) on the outer edge (and yes, inflation pressures were maintained). In my case, I had new struts and springs put in the rear and that seems to have resolved the problem (and made for better handling). My rig has about 189k on it.

I am actually in a similar predicament - I just put JY new front struts on the front end (well under 50k) - didn't help - I think also had it aligned, and at this point I am suspecting a poor job by the shop, as the rest of my front end is tight

generally, balljoints and tie rod ends can be checked for wear/free play - if there is free play they will need to be replaced - first have the alignment checked - that is probably the best way to verify the reason for tire wear

other possibilities are bad front sway bar bushings, and front suspension bushings - check sway bar for extra free play, and you should be able to check the suspension bushings easily when car is raised

bratman2 is right about the torque for the wheel nuts - check those too - but mine have never been loose (torqued them & put new cotter pin in last when I last had the hubs off - no prob. before or since)

My repair manual states "excessive speed in corners" for that outside tire wear...

I go thru a set of tires in 5k miles....but then again i drive the roads like its the WRC....

I'd have the alighment checked again....just to be safe.