Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Justy...Lots of Pictures

Did you fabricate that light bar yourself? How about some info on it. How'd you do it or where'd you buy it?

Looks good. One suggestion though. I'd do the same paint treatment you have on the hood on the area below the door ding trim. That way you could clean up the rust on the rockers. Another suggestion would be to use some of that truck bedliner paint to provide a little more protection if you are rally-x'ing. Just make sure you prep good or the stuff tends to chip/flake off.

Jason

well.. the car is mainly a "rally" car but is kinda set up for everything.

for "rally" mode. i've got big old knobby snow tires, big metal skidplate, and the Bike computer infront of the navvie.

for "street" mode (as you see it), i've got Falken tires on those rims so it bites really nicely.

The Light bar...it was a custom job, fairly simple, but counted as a shop project, which i got 96 percent on :D

Yep, no backseats due to the harnesses, plus anyone over 3 feet tall had to sit crosslegged.

BTW if you were wondering, those are Impreza 2.5 RS front seats. Very comfy

here's an action pic. shot along time ago.

controller.php?id=554.jpg

i have a custom intake, with K&N cone filter sticking out behind the grill. Sounds good, and acts like a "ram-air".

Exhaust is 2 inch straight pipe with only the Magnaflo at the rear as a muffler. It's kinda loud and backfires alot.

In the works is a turbo kit, using an EA82Turbo, Talon intercooler, and so on. Aiming for around 125 hp, on 7 PSI.

the Harnesses, i used the Eye bolts that came with the harnesses and screwed them into the Stock Rear Lap belt mounts, and the stock front belt mounts. I have the stock front belts in there for driving around town as well. Very easy install

if your going to turbo it, dont use the turbo from an ea82t. instead, use the whole block from a chevy turbo sprint. its the exact same motor, 1.3 three cylinder, but with lower compression pistons, and plus its made for he turb, so you cane boost it more..... thats what im thinking of doing when an find a decent one. and what about tose wheels???? hose look awesome!!! where you find em? how much?:slobber:

The justy motor and swift motors are to different beasts. The Suzuki motor is a 1.0 liter, and had throttle body injection.

the wheels. they are from an 87 Toyota Celica. 13x5.5 inch. i had to machine the center hubs to 60 MM, use short shank nuts, and then ofcourse paint them gunmetal.

This body style did come with 12 inch wheels. However, While i swapped in the EFI motor from a 1990 i also took the larger front brake discs, so only 13's will fit.

Very cool, although I agree to downsize the pics next time, I grew impatient of waiting for my 56k to DL them...:madder:

The only Justy I've seen with any display of interest in Subarus was a completely riced-out one. He put a fart can on it, painted the rear drums orange :lol: and did a whole bunch of interior stuff... :brolleye:

Keep up good work, looks like it will be quite a car when you're done!

there is a justy that is consistently in the top three at every rallyx it enters. it is a totally gutted fwd, no glass except windscreen, plasma torched doors and no rear hatch. we usually have 30-50 cars and one car that the justy beats or is close to is a rally wrx driven by the current group n scca prorally points leader and 4th overall in driver points. the car has been dubbed the rally go kart or that damn justy! i want one!

greg

SOA built a justy in the late 80s to run for the land speed record of a certain class...

it made 120hp at 9200rpms using 3 motorcyle carbs and high compression pistons, the other major engine components were pretty stock i think. the car is still around today and it still holds the record at 123mph for whatever class it competed in.

it can be done

Nice car, yes I was going to ask about the seats, very nice. There are a couple out at the rallycross and they do pretty good, they are very well suited to the very tight courses they set up. There was a '88 out there that had a paint scheme very similar to my '87 RX, similar to yours but with white trim etc.

That's one of the coolest Justys I've seen. I like those little buggers....kinda like a Starlet (81 Toyota) w/4wd. They are totally underrated for autocross, even here in the Older Scoob community. And due to the different classing system up there in Canada, they are frequently competitive at the National level of rally. Looks like a fun project you've got there.

What does the thing weigh, like 1700 lbs? I bet its a blast to toss around!

well....factory weight should be 1751 lbs.

when i had the car appart, i ripped about 30 lbs of sound deadening insulation out.

Then with the backseats and stuff out, it should be around 1700 even. I still have full carpet and front interior.

The thing will be going on a diet to get it down to around 1600 lbs.

and yes. the thing is a PARTY to throw around.

and underrated....definately. My justy which has the 1990 EFI motor and some mods will probably take just about any Naturally Aspirated Subaru from the 80's.

so you'd need to be at around 120 hp at 1600 lbs weight w/o driver. Just under 14 lbs per hp, right? I think there is a guy in Toronto who comes on here sometimes, that got one to 150 hp pretty easily. It did involve a piston swap, though. I think he was using MOTEC management, too.

Can the tranny/clutch handle all that?