Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W/Shield Mist upgrade available for Legacy

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/modifications/interior/wiper/wiper.html

found this upgrade for the impreza and wondered if it would work for the legacy wagon I have..all I have are the 2-speed wipers and I need the delay wiping action .I would think that the 2 would be interchangable but would like to know for sure b/4 visiting my stealership....bd

What year Legacy do you have?

I added the RainTracker unit to my 97 OB. I was told by the dealer that it wasn't a "simple" upgrade to add OEM variable intermittent wipers. (The Limited model in my year has it.) Others have disagreed and have indicated that it is that simple, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post saying they have actually done it. The stalk and module and ... something ... was going to be quite the expense. The RainTracker unit (there is a link at the bottom of the article) works beautifully. Took a bit to install, but worth it.

Commuter

sorry....2003 Legacy L, se edition...Not familiar with rain tracker, will have to google that....I question the dealership response , I mean we're talking assy line work here...tks for response...bd

What year Legacy do you have?

I added the RainTracker unit to my 97 OB. I was told by the dealer that it wasn't a "simple" upgrade to add OEM variable intermittent wipers. (The Limited model in my year has it.) Others have disagreed and have indicated that it is that simple, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post saying they have actually done it. The stalk and module and ... something ... was going to be quite the expense. The RainTracker unit (there is a link at the bottom of the article) works beautifully. Took a bit to install, but worth it.

Commuter

sorry....2003 Legacy L, se edition...Not familiar with rain tracker, will have to google that....I question the dealership response , I mean we're talking assy line work here...tks for response...bd

I'm talking of my specific model year. It doesn't mean that it applies your your model.

Commuter

• 2 weeks later...

local sub parts gave me PN 83114AE170 as the misting wiper switch(steering wheel stalk) for an 03 Legacy Outback...since I have the legacy L/se ....I assume that it should work...anyone know for sure...any sub parts guys on the forum..I would rather buy from you...bd

I'm talking of my specific model year. It doesn't mean that it applies your your model.

Commuter

• 2 weeks later...
local sub parts gave me PN 83114AE170 as the misting wiper switch(steering wheel stalk) for an 03 Legacy Outback...since I have the legacy L/se ....I assume that it should work...anyone know for sure...any sub parts guys on the forum..I would rather buy from you...bd

Update:

bought the above switch assy from subie gal, and it's a direct plug-in update for adding the delay or misting option to the standard 2 speed wipers...exactly the same , even down to the stamped # on the plastic housing...took all of 15 minutes to do the switch...

Only difference in the impreza instructions, linked above , and my 03 legacy was that I had 1 screw that lowered the bottom half of the steering wheel cover...the other 2 screws were visible after removing the bottom cover...fwiw...bill

The adjustable-delay upgrade is a simple swap of the stalk switch on all Legacies and Imprezas manufactured to date. With an old-style switch that has mounting screws parallel to the steering column and a wiring pigtail, it would take more time than with a new (current) style. But they all swap directly.