Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drilling hubs not working for me...

Based upon numerous claims of success, I have been working on drilling my hubs out for six lugs. My Brat has been on jack stands for two weeks because I seem to have trouble getting this to work.

How do I get the front hubs off? Does the outer part with the lugs come off separate from the disk brake rotor? I removed the castle nut and the four bolts, but I am not sure whether I should try to pull the hub separately from the rotor, or remove the whole assembly.

When I drilled out the rear hubs, there are "ribs" on the inside that make it hard to seat the new lug bolts. I assume others have encountered and solved this problem. Is there something simple I am missing?

It appears that a 9/16" drill bit works perfectly for making the holes.

If I figure this out, I will post my methods.

sounds like your already runing into alot of trouble. you have to grind the ribs flat on the rear drums. and on the front hubs, you have to grind alot of metal away, and weld up a flat surface for the stud to seat all the way around.

17/32 is too small, and 9/16 is way too big! 14 mm is right on.

i shouldnt say this, but a 17/32 reamed once around with a rat tail file seems to work ok also...

but buy a 14mm =]

geting the holes in the right place is hard, and very inportant.

sounds like your already runing into alot of trouble. you have to grind the ribs flat on the rear drums. and on the front hubs, you have to grind alot of metal away, and weld up a flat surface for the stud to seat all the way around.

17/32 is too small, and 9/16 is way too big! 14 mm is right on.

i shouldnt say this, but a 17/32 reamed once around with a rat tail file seems to work ok also...

but buy a 14mm =]

geting the holes in the right place is hard, and very inportant.

I did the 17/32 with a file trick as well. but instead of grinding at the drum/discs, I just ground a flat spot into the lips of the studs. The file will also help if you screw up a little and the hole is a bit off. You can fix a small error that way.

dont forget to hit the front of the hub with a hammer to dislodge the tapered washer behind the castle nut, THEN you can tap the hub off from behind.

to get the studs seated properly the BEST way, is to mill the ribs off with a drill press/lathe. if you grind them youre most likely going to end up with crooked studs. good luck.