Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam seal replacement on EA82

Alright, so I've never done this before.. Got a car at the shop thats dumpin oil from the drivers side cam seal.

How hard is that seal to replace? Can I leave the cam case bolted to the head and take the cam out that way? Or does the cam case have to come off the head to get it out.

And are there and tricks of the trade that I should know about?

Thanks in advance

Take off the cam sprocket and you should see to bolts that hold the seal retainer. Take those out and the retainer should come out, you may need to twist some. Don't forget to replace the o-ring on the back of the retainer.

yeah just take of fthe outer belt cover, and take off the belt pulley. i find i best to loosen or tighten the bolte with the belt holding the pulley still.

once you replace the seal you can slip the belt back onto the pulley, and bolt it on. this way thebelt maintains its tension you would not have to adjust the tension if you did not loosen it to begin with

when tightening the bolts, snug them by hand with a 1/4 drive ratchet then 1/4 turn. be careful as they will twist off with too much torque