Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the blinking ecs light of doom

my subaru xt turbo has that dang red ecs light doing its thing again. my ecs light has been on for the last 3 days, yesterday when i just barely gave it gas the light would come on. it was fighting to idle and even died going though a intersection. i pulled it over and it started right up. then i just took it out for a drive like 10 minutes ago and the ecs light will light up for a sec and then go off and it now blinks on and off like that, now how do i get the car to where i can check the codes on the ecu? and what would you thing would be possible problems?

from the USRM above under the misc section, here's the guide to check the codes: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=44

if both connectors are connected, and the light is blinking, it means that there are no error codes at this time. However, since you're having driving issues, I'd check the codes and go from there.

good luck

It sounds like the knock sensor is going or the plug isn't firmly attached. I had a very similar problem with my car and pressing the plug down firmly took care of the problem.. Later I replaced that plug and used some dielectric grease to maintain a good contact. Try the plug before you buy a new sensor.