Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to buy a used Subaru, specifically a 2000 Outback Limited Edition. (I know this might sound trivial, but it's a way of seeing whether the dealer is trying to swindle me.) Is the CD player a standard feature on the 2000 Outback Limited Edition, or is it optional? The dealer listed it on his site as being one of the accessories in the car, but when I saw the car, it wasn't there... :(

If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much for your time, and have a great day!

~Lisa

Do what I did when I bought my used 2000 Legacy.

It was advertised with cruise control. When I inspected the car, there wasn't a cruise. So, I bought it, then innocently asked "Show me how the cruise cntrol works".

They said, Oh it doesn't have one, I pointed out that the ad (in fact several ads claimed it did) and they guessed they must have made a mistake.

I told them, no problem, just install one, and they said it would coast $400.00. So I asked them which would they prefer:

1. Install the cruise as advertised, and as I purchased the car.

2. Refund me the stated cost, so I could have one installed on my own.

3. I take all the ads, sales contract (make sure the accessories are listed) and their response to the state consumer protection office.

They wrote me a check for $400.00, on the spot, and I had a very good aftermarket cruise installed when I got the car to my home town.

Thanks wait, howsomever - be aware that I was willing to go ahead with the deal, even if my ploy didn't work. Cruise or no cruise wasn't a deal breaker.

BUT, I do enjoy having cruise, and FWIW the aftermarket on the 2000 works a LOT better than the OEM on our 95 Leg.

Yeah, I'm pretty much ready to go ahead with the deal...The thing that's making me shy away a little is the fact that he advertized something that wasn't there...but I realized I can live without a Subaru CD player, plus, some of the displays on the Pioneer car CD players are nice (if they'd fit into the dash...)...

I was just wondering, Mtsmiths, how did you present it to the dealer? I mean, how did you go about asking him to install the cruise? (it's all in presentation) Just so that when I go to pickup the car to get it checked out by my mechanic, I can properly confront him about it.

Thanks so much.

~Lisa

I waited until the deal was signed, sealed and I was actually getting in the car to drive it home (I bought the car in Spokane, WA and live in Whitefish, MT ). The salesman was standing there with his big "Oh boy I made my day's commission" smile on his face.

I just innocently rolled down the drivers window and asked how I worked the Cruise Control, cause I couldn't find it.

Big"UH-OH" moment on the sales manager when we both walked back into the office. I was polite, had all the cards (both printed and on-line ads, and sales contract in hand), and was insistent. I also 'happened' to have the web address for the Washington State Consumer Affairs office in my folder.

1. Install the cruise as advertised, and as I purchased the car.

2. Refund me the stated cost, so I could have one installed on my own.

3. I take all the ads, sales contract (make sure the accessories are listed) and their response to the state consumer protection office.

If you're going to do this with a CD player and you present this as a "deal breaker" after the sale, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer turned around and went with option 1. Unlike a cruise control install, it's easy for the dealer to go to walmart, pick up a $50 cd player and install it in your OB and then you're left with a crappy cd player and more importantly, a crappy installation.

I'm not there and I don't know the situation, but if it were me, I would try to knock off a couple of hundred (or whatever you think is appropriate) BEFORE the sale to prevent this.

I think you're both right (Mtsmiths, Bjwirth), I think that it is a good idea to have the web address ready (I'll have to find the addresses for the NY State Consumer Affairs Office...that won't be too hard...they do handle false advertising as you said, right, Mtsmiths? so I'll have him, there...and I'll have a printed copy of the online advertisement where he said that he had included a CD player in the Subaru) ...I'll also try to present it when I go to pick up the Subaru with the dealer plates on it to drive it to my mechanic to have it checked out...that's before we finalize the deal...and it'll give him ample time as to whether this deal means enough to him for him to spring for a subaru cd player (I'll ask for a Subaru CD player, not a walmart one...:) )...(or put the old one in---if he took it out for some reason other than it being broken). Who knows...maybe it was broken and he took it out, and I can get a little more money off the price or have a new one installed, just like you had a new cruise control put into yours.

Thanks for the help...the days coming up where I'll have to pick up the car to bring to the mechanic...I'll start preparing myself....

Thanks again...

~Lisa

Dealers.... BAH! I looked at a '98 about two years ago. Price on the window, test drive, yadda yadda. I ask for a break on the price. He sits me at his desk and goes to "talk to the manager." To pass the time I read the newspaper on his desk, including the ad THIS dealership is running.

Get this: The car I just drove was "on sale" in this ad for $3000 less than the sticker on the window. He comes back in ten minutes; "The best we can do is knock $1100 off the price." I show him the ad. Then left.

Grrrr.

The 2000 Outback Limited came with a cd/tape player and weather band radio. It also came with heated seats, leather interior, heated windshield, heated outside mirrrors, power front seat, etc.

If there is no cd player it is likely that the former owner may have removed it and put their own unit in its place. The radio was a nice feature. I should know, because I drove one for four years. It was a nice car even with the piston slap problem.