Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Damage from Auto transport question- Legacy

I just had a car shipped from NY to Co. The Air Suspension was shot on this car so it was riding low. During transit the Driver stopped to visit his family for Easter, so it took a couple of extra days. Anyways, sometime during shipment a tire went flat and a whole got punched into the Fuel tank. I am asking for an opinion- Should the Auto Transport Company Pay for it to be repaired. My thoughts are- they could have done something about the tire during shipment to avoid this. Thanks

Should they, you bet.

Will they, almost assuradly not. This one is prolly not worth the battle to get them to pay.

A tank R&R is a pain, but doable, hie yourself off to a wrecking yard and find a replacement, or remove the tank and have it professionally repaired. If you try it yourself, you may end up in the next county!

Should they, you bet.

Will they, almost assuradly not. This one is prolly not worth the battle to get them to pay.

A tank R&R is a pain, but doable, hie yourself off to a wrecking yard and find a replacement, or remove the tank and have it professionally repaired. If you try it yourself, you may end up in the next county!

The car is sitting in Denver at Strictly Automotive so they can swap it. About all I can do is get them Black Flagged through the Auto Transport Brokers Association. I ask because I know I am biased.

Any damage done by an auto transporter should be covered by their insurance. Of course they will deny damage and give you a hard time, always ask for the next guy up the food chain...........might help.

A few years ago I know of a street rod which one of the ramps slipped out of position while offloading.........bent frame!

A lot of yelling later, around 5 grand in damage to make it right.

swi66

yes they were upfront about the damage at least. Thier Insurance wont cover it, but maybe they will be able to ride it off. Thanks

Any damage done by an auto transporter should be covered by their insurance. Of course they will deny damage and give you a hard time, always ask for the next guy up the food chain...........might help.

A few years ago I know of a street rod which one of the ramps slipped out of position while offloading.........bent frame!

A lot of yelling later, around 5 grand in damage to make it right.

swi66

Did you have your own insurance on it? If, so then file a claim with your own company and they will get it from the transport company... insurance companies don't like to pay out if they can collect it elsewhere!

If I'm not mistaken, all transporters have to be insured AND bonded against any damage done while in their care (with the exception of fluid leaks from another vehicle above). They are usually very clear on marking prior damage on the manifest slip.

I would check a bit further by contacting the ICC for more information and standards of conduct, ie: was he responsibe for correcting a situation in order to stem further damage. Good luck!

Guest hoamskoold

ABSOLUTELY, they should pay for the damage. Don't listen to the people telling you it's "not worth it" to try to get them to pay. They've done a lot of damage to your car and are liable for those damages. Make sure you document everything and take pictures of the damage, then fight them. If you have any work done, keep all your receipts.

The way it worked for me was I had to turn it in to my insurance company. They paid me and probably went after the shipping company later. It should not affect your insurance rates and you get to deal with someone in your home town