Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ATTN: EA82T tuners

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:28 PM

Just wanting to know what muffler U are using, and how loud is it? Right now all I have is a 2" mandrell bent down pipe, and a 2" in/out glass pack and 2" x 12" turn down. It's loud!

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:29 PM

I would go get a 2" in and 2.5" out muffler to slap on there to keep it quiet.

-Brian

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:33 PM

is the car loud or just loud inside? lengthening the pipe to the back near the axle will make a world of difference on inside exhaust noise.
fatter after-muffler pipes will help tone things doen

#4 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:42 PM

dynamax muffler 2.5
piping out the back makes a big differance too.

I ran the muffler straight the first day, too loud without a good tailpipe.
sounds like a wrx rumble now. not too loud;)

#5 biffbradford

biffbradford

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Milwaukee , Wi

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:43 PM

After 20,000 Harley Davidson motorcycles this past weekend, I don't think anyone would notice around here !

John Wilke
Milwaukee
'87 XT Turbo 2" pipe with glasspack

#6 Dennis ex24

Dennis ex24

Subaru Disaster

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  • Phila, Pa

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:59 PM

both my cars are muffler-less...

1987 XT Turbo with WRX exhaust from the turbo back, was a little loud for my taste (even with 3 converters), ive grown to love it. gave me a headache the first few days i drove it but it eventually grew on me

1985 RX with the stock exhaust and a straight pipe in place of the factory muffler - more to my liking, but the car is still gutless

#7 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,887 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 02 September 2003 - 03:39 PM

I know that Hondasucks's 87 turbowagon has no muffler on it. It has a nice rumbly sound to it but its still not incredibly loud........................until you get on it:brow:

#8 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 02 September 2003 - 05:15 PM

I just put on my custom designed catless downpipe. 2.5" OD w/ 1.5" wastegate bypass tube (enters approx 18" from flange) Wraped it with header wrap and put a Jegs three-way hiflow cat after the DP. Continued to the rear bumper with 2.5"
Some improvement in perf. but sounds very rodded, not riced.
Replaced factory intake pipe (coragated rubber hose from MAF to turbo) with a smooth curve section of 3" pipe and silicone couplings. Large K&N cone mounted in inner fender (no engine heat). Cockpit adjustable timing run at approx 25 BTDC at idle.
14 psi boost after the IC, H20 injection and hi boost activated aux fuel injection.
Still will not beat my factory 90 'Teg.
5 speed
Subatoad

#9 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 05:41 PM

I have jsut the two cats on ym GL-10, its kinda quiet to me...others say it loud. The exhaust end about 12 inches from the 2nd cat.

The RX has the DP, no cat, and ends right after it comes down and bends back. Its LOUD.

#10 Forkspear

Forkspear

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • Moriarty

Posted 02 September 2003 - 07:00 PM

My 87 RX has the factory down pipe and ends after it bends back. No cat and no muffler. It is loud.

#11 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 02 September 2003 - 07:07 PM

My 86 XT Turbo has the factory down pipe, with the cat still intact. After the first factory connector, it's got 2 inch all the way back to the stock muffler location, and there it has a 2 in/2 out glass pack, with nothing after the muffler. It's pretty quite inside, and out at idle...it dosen't really roar until over 4,000 rpm...then it just plain sounds mean...

RedLance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users