Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm planning to try to replace the front O2 sensor in my '96 2.2L legacy (it's got a ton of miles, smells like gas when it starts, and the MPG is going downhill.. so i figure this may be the cause.)

Before I give this a shot, just a couple of questions:

1) i understand that this is easy to replace, even for the lesser skilled. Just bend over the fender & you'll see the O2 sensor, no need for jacking/getting under the car. is that correct?

2) I noticed on oxygensensors.com they actually list 3 different OEM sensors: Walker 250-23088, Denso 234-3088, Bosch 13702

Which is the best/easiest one to use? (my criteria is that it fits without any hassle... which one is the one that subaru actually uses on the cars from the factory?)

3) is there anything else i should know before attempting this?

Thanks!

I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I went with the walker 4 wire universal based on recomendations from this board. While not a direct swap it did make a nice difference in idle as others have reported. The walker unit was high quality and I would not hesitate to use it again over the oem bosch sensor. Your correct in that there is no need to jack up or lay under the vehicle to do this job. If the sensor you select doesn't come with antisieze compound, (the walker did) get some.

I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I went with the walker 4 wire universal based on recomendations from this board. While not a direct swap it did make a nice difference in idle as others have reported. The walker unit was high quality and I would not hesitate to use it again over the oem bosch sensor. Your correct in that there is no need to jack up or lay under the vehicle to do this job. If the sensor you select doesn't come with antisieze compound, (the walker did) get some.

thanks, handtool!

i'll give it a shot this week i guess (well, first i'll try to loosen the one that's already in there...) what tool do you recommend to do it? (i see that they have a special socket for these things at oxygensensors.com)