Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1984 subaru gl wagon

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Wolf

Derek Wolf

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:17 AM

Hi, I have a 84 I think with a 1.8 carb. when the car is idleing its great. but most of the time when you are using power or need power the engine acts like the choke fell over, and the fuel drops to 10 miles to a gallon, and you can't get any real power, if you back off to idle its smooth as a baby, I had the carb rebuilt problem went away for a week, then its back again, Any one have any idea. Thanks
Derek
Hey I also forgot, when I roll around a corner or turn with a bit of a lean I hear a wine or roar sound coming from the back, is that the rear end or cv's??????
Thanks again for the helping hand of knowledge.........

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:32 AM

get on ohms meter and test your coil according to the haynes or chiltons manual. My car did that when my accel coil started to burn out

#3 Derek Wolf

Derek Wolf

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:49 AM

get on ohms meter and test your coil according to the haynes or chiltons manual. My car did that when my accel coil started to burn out

I will check the coil out later today, and see if that's it Thanks for the reply everything helps

#4 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,417 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:44 AM

check the electric choke as well........just unplug it once the car is warmed up.

#5 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hey I also forgot, when I roll around a corner or turn with a bit of a lean I hear a wine or roar sound coming from the back, is that the rear end or cv's??????

That sounds like your rear wheel bearings.

For the engine, also check spark plugs, disty cap etc.

#6 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:00 PM

Put in one more vote for the electric choke!

Your Fuel Pump Control Unit may not be speaking properly with the carb.
As I understand it you need to run power to the carb to keep the choke OFF!

Disconnecting the wire should cause the choke to go ON!

I drove around with a screwdriver in my carb to keep the choke open till I was able to jump the new wires.

I'd also recommend a basic tune up. INCLUDING WIRES! I had something similar to what your describing and the culprit turned out to be a failing wire!

Good Luck,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
01 Forester

#7 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

FUEL FILTERS, everyone forgets these. They inhibit power more than anything else.

#8 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:34 PM

I second the fuel filter possiblity. There are two. One in engine bay, and one in front of the rear passenger tire.
[HTi]Johnson
P.S. Hey Derek where do you live in Oregon?

#9 Derek Wolf

Derek Wolf

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:46 AM

Torxxx you rule the day, it was the coil that fixed that problem on to the next, I think maybe just maybe the guy who sold me this car may have been maybe just a bit forgot to tell me all the problems. But I gotta tell you and others, This really takes the pain out of trying to fix the car back up. And it makes it a cool project...Thanks
Derek

#10 Derek Wolf

Derek Wolf

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:50 AM

I second the fuel filter possiblity. There are two. One in engine bay, and one in front of the rear passenger tire.
[HTi]Johnson

Hti-Johnson....I live in Eugene Oregon, How about your self.
Oh the problem I had turned out to be a coil, but I did change the filter under the hood but did not know about the one in the rear, I seem to have a slight fuel lobe while driving.....I only have a few more parts to be a new motor, minus that it needs head gaskets. but I am really glad to see this site and read about some great guys and information.
Thank you
Derek

#11 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:55 AM

Sweet I live in Eugene also.

#12 bk2

bk2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • okanagan valley BC

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:31 PM

[HTi]Johnson

Where is the fuel filter for a 1985 subaru gl wagon ....under the hood? I have changed my rear one.....someone has told me there is another one...

thanks.

#13 critical_max

critical_max

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Eugene, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

Derek - I'm in Eugene too, I drive an 86 turbo sedan but have also run an 84 GL 4WD wagon in the past.

The wagon, to answer another question, had a fuel filter just in front of the rear axle. PITA to replace without lifting the car, I'd recommend jackstands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users