Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright I finally got the miss figured out in the engine but I have another question. 91 Legacy 2.2L. When I turn the A/C the clutch engages and everything sounds ok. The down side is that it nevers get cold. I checked the high and low side pressure and it seems ok as well...Expansion valve or something stuck?? Where can I begin to look?? Maybe even compressor issues??? Once again thanks guys for any input...

I am going to check everything this afternoon ( pressure and if the evaporator pipe is cold) I willpost the results tonight. Iw ould really love to solve this problem myself and not have to take it to the shop..Thanks for the input guys..

Hi i got the sam eproblem "how to know if it been converted"

And i dont understand clearly what u mind by this:

R-12 fitting are screw on fitting and if it been converted to 134a there are quick disconnect style fitting on it (Usually)

You may want to look around for any retro fit stickers

SEA#3

EDIT:

Well, may be i figured out i got this recharge kit(pic) for my other car and it wouldn't probably fit to R-12 right?And it fit to thicker hose(blue cap) the thiner one got a little bit bigger valve with black cap.

MAC134.jpg

If it's been converted properly, the fittings will be different. The R12 fittings are smaller then the R134a fittings. Also the R134a fittings should have blue and red caps, vs the R12's maroon & black I think.

What all is involved in retrofitting to R-134? Just replace the hoses? Or is there more?

Mine has the red and blue caps on the fittings but other stickers indicating R134. What should I do?? Bite the bullet and try to recharge with R134???

Please reread Legacy777's last post: Red and blue caps => R134a

So, if you have red and blue caps, and R134a stickers, pretty good bet that it is R134a.

I have not looked at R134a fittings yet, but R12 fittings look like tire valves: externally threaded, with a tire-style valve core inside.

See, that's the issue......it's hard to say how much oil or even refrigerant to put in.

The way shops typically do it, is add refrigerant until the pressures look good, and temps blowing out of the vents is good.

It's not really a super scientific way.

Drive it a bit at a decent speed, then check the pipe and see how cold it is. The compressor needs to run faster than idle to work properly.

If the pipe is getting cold, but you don't feel cold air at the vents, then I think your flap inside the ducting system may be stuck or something.

Ooops ,didn't uderstand...

add refrigerant until the pressures look good, and temps blowing out of the vents is good.

And what about the oil?I did put in just refrigerant w/o oil and pressure looks good ,so what now?

Ok I think this threas has diverced into two subjects. I am at a stopping point with trying to diagnose why the AC isn't getting cold. I checked and it has been converted to R134. Everything comes on fans, AC clutch..I tried to fill it with coolant and it didn't even take 1/3 of the can..I have driven it around for 30 miutes and the lines get cold. coming from the firewall the line coming into the evaporator is cold and all the other lines excpet for the ones coming directly from the compressor...Any other suggestions???Thanks

Ooops ,didn't uderstand...

And what about the oil?I did put in just refrigerant w/o oil and pressure looks good ,so what now?

Where did you find refrigerant without oil already added? Most if not all of them have the oil in them. Look at the can to be sure. . .

Ok I think this threas has diverced into two subjects. I am at a stopping point with trying to diagnose why the AC isn't getting cold. I checked and it has been converted to R134. Everything comes on fans, AC clutch..I tried to fill it with coolant and it didn't even take 1/3 of the can..I have driven it around for 30 miutes and the lines get cold. coming from the firewall the line coming into the evaporator is cold and all the other lines excpet for the ones coming directly from the compressor...Any other suggestions???Thanks

The lines into the firewall get cold, and the inside fans come on? If it is not getting cold at that point, I would say that you are not getting air over the evaporator. the blower has to have an input and an output in order to move air. It may also be that there is air going over the unit, but it is not getting to the vents. The most likely reason for this (as has been said before) is that a door betwen the evaporator and the rest of the heater/vent/AC system is not opening.

Where did you find refrigerant without oil already added? Most if not all of them have the oil in them. Look at the can to be sure. . .

Oh , i forgot about this one.Well,may be u right i will check the can if the oil is already in there...