Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetion for ej22

iNtelopeR

Hi all! I am currently researching for my next project which is installing a ej22 into my 1969 Karmann Ghia which is pretty straight forward however I would like to use dual Weber carbs instead of efi but have not seen where they or any other make/model of carb/manifold has been used in this config. Does anyone know of and can lead me to any such setup. Did any Subaru ever come with dual carbs? Again, I cannot find any indication.

thanks in advance.

The EJ22 was never sold with a carubretor much less two of them. If you do go in that direction you will also need to come up with an ignition system since the ECU controls that as well. Some board members have swaped the EJ22 into their older Subarus, they have kept the original fuel injection and have been pleased with the results. Kennedy Engineering who dose make an adapter plate to mate an EJ22 to a VW transaxle can also provide wiring information for the EJ22. http://www.kennedyeng.com/

I would keep the EFI, it will be a lot easier in the long run. Order the Vanagon wiring harness conversion diagrams from Kennedy (linked above) and the bell housing adapter/flywheel kit which I think would work on your Karmann but I dont know for sure.

Thanks for everyone's help! I new Kennedy had the hook-up but as for the wiring of the efi... I wish I could see the wiring diagram first. Either way I am convinced that the ej22 is the way to go. is there a particular year that was more or less popular. I am currently looking for the 1995 range.

The 95 engine has an EGR valve, which may cause firewall interference. 90-94 do not.

I'd love to see twin 48 IDA's with tall stacks on top of an EJ.

Now your talking, look what the 48's do for the poor flowing, low reving VW engine. The EJ would screem.

Gary

you could always use the stock EJ22 intake manifold as a template, use 3/8'' steel plate for the base plate, and use some 1/4'' round stock for the intake runners, bend with mandrel and custom make a housing for the carbs to sit on, then attach the runners to it. might need to look and see if the stock intake manifold gaskets will seal aluminum block to new-fab steel intake. that would be my first plan of action, then figure something out to ignite the darn thing........anyone got any ideas? or, if you know someone that can weld alum. oyu could just cut out where the throttle body goes and cut the runners a bit and make a "box" for the carbs to sit on. or just plain buy one carb, make a cap for the throttle body on the intake, cut top off of intake manifold, not on the intake runner part though, and make another "cap/adapter" out of aluminum for the ONE carb to sit on. okay, im done.

~Josh~

I would keep the EFI, it will be a lot easier in the long run. Order the Vanagon wiring harness conversion diagrams from Kennedy (linked above) and the bell housing adapter/flywheel kit which I think would work on your Karmann but I dont know for sure.

4 sure.

Even if you just nabed the wire harness and ECU from a donor vehicle. It's still gonna be easier to wire it up and do EFI than all the customization it will take for adapting an antiquated fuel delivery system.

Look what you all have done.

When I move to my new place, i'm gonna have to build up an EJ22 with twin weber 48 IDA's and MSD digital ignition. It would look sort of like a vw motor, too.

Goodbye rev limiter. I'm gonna need some billet connecting rods and forged pistons. Destroke it so I can rev it to 9 grand.

• 2 months later...

I was considering a dual webber setup on my baja bug. I think it wouldn't be too hard to use the magnetic pickup om the cam or crank to fire an aftermarket ignition either. If you don't find a supplier for the manifolds, I can fab them up for you out of copper plated steel, stainless, or aluminum for around $200. I would make myself a pair at the same time. EFI is great but I think the carbs would be way easier to setup plus it's different and it would look killer. The linkage from the VW should work with minor modifications. PM me if you are interested.

-Chuck-