Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Folks.

I have an 01 Legacy OBW Limited.

My remote has very poor range. I have to stand next to the car for it to work and then it takes several tries to unlock ther car.

I replaced the remote battery. Cleaned contacts that I could while I had the remote open. No change in function.

My remotes from other cars work from across a parking lot.

Any suggestions to improve the range of this remote?

I would suspect the problem is with the remote and not the receiver but I could be wrong. I purchased a spare OEM remote for my '01 Outback from Ebay for $10 dollars so you could try replacing yours to see if that helps. If it still doesn't work correctly you have a spare remote at least and then I would look at the receiver for a problem. I'm not sure what the antenna is made up like for this but that would be the first think to check if is external to the receiver box.

Guest hoamskoold

I have a '98 Legacy Outback and mine is having the same problem. My remote is clean and I installed a fresh battery and I still can't get more than about 15-foot range out of the thing. It's annoying.

Guest hoamskoold

I've yet to find a way to push the button on my remote without touching it. Having to contort my body or hold the remote in strange/awkward positions kind of defeats the point of the convenience of a remote with decent range.

Find the reciever unit under the dash to the left of the steering column. It is a small black box about the size of a deck of cards. There is a small reset button on this unit. Place all of your keyless entry units on the floorboard and press the reset button.

This cleared up all my problems with the keyless entry...

On the "black box" there the antenna wire for the keyless remote. It may not be extended far enough up the dash for it to get a proper sign. May want to reroute it and try and see if you get a better signal. I believe it is a white wire.

Also a new battery can help with the signal from the remote.