Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All-

I've got a whistle in my wagon... It's only whistles when the motor is very lightly loaded. If the AC isn't engaged, it will not whistle at idle, but when the AC engages, or you're cruising on a flat road at 30-40mph (2-5% throttle maybe?) it'll whistle. Open the throttle past 5% ish, and it goes away. The whistle doesn't seem to be tied to speed, gear (AT), weather, and hasn't changed in the past two years... It does seem to be coming from the intake manifold area of the car (no gross intake leaks, checked by spraying carb cleaner everywhere - no; it didn't cach on fire either).

Anybody have a clue as to what this could be?

Thanks, Miles

I had a similar whistle/noise. I swore it was coming from the intake manifold. Turned out to be coming from a hole in the muffler.

With the A/C on and idling, it makes the noise right? If so, get out and try to track down the noise. You may want to pick up a stethoscope to help isolate the noise.

Arrgh. I spent another .5 hour today bent over the engine, listening in vain for a whistle that is both nowhere and everywhere. Using a stethoscope (long screwdriver) I've deduced that the whistle can't be found. I tried wetting the belts; no change. I tried opening up the airbox; no change.

I did notice that it's not tied directly to the throttle position... If you blip the throttle really fast, it'll whistle a fraction of a second later than you moved the throttle, more in line with the increase in rpms of the engine... Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks, Miles

I did notice that it's not tied directly to the throttle position... If you blip the throttle really fast, it'll whistle a fraction of a second later than you moved the throttle, more in line with the increase in rpms of the engine... Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Could it be a belt-driven device, like the water pump or alternator? That would imply that it is more of a "squeak" than a whistle...

Try cleaning you throttle body and throttle valve with some spray carb cleaner . Also spray some through the IAC valve they are known to whistle on early model Legacy

SEA#3

Don't clean the TB.....there is a film on there from the factory that helps keep carbon deposits from forming and causing a sticky throttle.

As for the IAC valve. I did notice on my car that if I used the stock thin metal gasket over the newer composite gasket I would not get a whistle. However if switched, I would get a slight whistle.

Kind of like what Legacy777 said about the exhaust, maybe check around the headers at the CAT. I had a hole there (turned into major crack) I wouldn't say it was a whistle, but I certainly only noticed it when there was a load on the engine. Maybe start the car when it is cold and crawl under there and feel for any leaks.

My dearly departed 93 Legacy whistled for 230K. I lived with it. Sounded like an intake leak at high vacuum, mostly at low speeds/light throttle. Only noticed when outside the car or the windows were down. Turning up the volume on the radio seemed to help. :brow: Now my 2001 Legacy wagon 5spd whistles when you wind it over 4 grand. Started at about 80K, now 100K. The more you rev the louder it gets. Drew a blank with the dealer. New timing belt/drive belts didn't seem to help. Does not sound like the 93 did. Maybe it's a MPG warning tone, cause I know mileage is suffering at that rpm and I haven't shifted. I'll try searching.

I hate to be capt. obvious but....

My 90 legacy whistles at idle too. Once I start moving it goes away. However, it goes away when I turn the interior fan off!

You guys mention AC... but what about the regular venting system?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 94 Legacy with same issue. It'll whistle just as I let off the gas and coast. Put a little gas to it and whistle goes away.

Before a run in with my local dealer and I stopped going to him (different story), he diagnosed it (after several test rides) as the IAC valve itself. He said that this model Legacy's IAC valve used a plastic piece in there that shouldn't have been plastic, and caused the whistle. Newer designs didn't have the issue. He replaced the IAC valve, and the whistle went away. (This was while it was under warranty still, so no problemo.)

After about 30k miles or so, the whistle came back. New IAC valve... whistle went away.

It's whistling again, and now after other wonderful experiences with said dealer, I'm wondering if it wasn't just the gasket UNDER the IAC that was at fault, and the IAC was good all the time. Since the problem went away when the IAC was changed, I'm pretty sure that's the component where the whistling is coming from.

You might just try replacing that gasket and seeing if it doesn't fix the problem. It's a quick and cheap fix. When I get some spare time, that's what I'm going to do.

-kurt