Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coilover sleve/strut failure pics

rallyruss

ok hope someone can learn from my mistakes. I installed a set of coil over sleeves that are oh so common now days. Had it on the car less than 6 months. it helped out with the load carrying capacity a bit. thats about all I can say good about the set up. the spring rate and strut dampining(kyb) were not verry compatable.

It was rather bouncy over speed bumps ect. travle seemed to be reduced too.

this was my second version of rear suspension modifications on this car. as some may know I ran larger springs out of a 87 accord (front) but that was only good when the car was fully loaded.

so story behind the failure was rather fun actually. in short it was me and friends exploring the back country of death vally. I was pushing the car a bit hard on the dirt roads and eventually blew the lower spring pearch on the right rear when crossing a washout. we patched the strut together with some parts found in the desert. but it was blown and made for a slow ride home.

I have a little somthing on order that may just blow away all my previous attempts to upgrade my rear suspension. he he.

sorry no pics of the desert rally action as I was too busy driving. my friend Mike got a few. I will work on that soon.

632112_1299-thumb.JPG632blownoutstrut_001_Small_-thumb.jpg632blownoutstrut_002_Small_-thumb.jpg

that sucks...so you wanna sell off some of the parts? LOL

im asking cause i just lowered the coupe today...the rear springs are just way to short and i need some replacements.

P.s. i like the "desert" modding

when its all done parts are yours. what exactly do you need? I have the springs that are on the car plus some others. more sleves too. I am done with it as soon as my new stuff gets here. pm me for details.

oh yeah a little side note. I had some pvc in place as an elbow for the bypass valve. the heat killed it. hade to duct tape it together to get it to run right. I did a bit of research and have found that pvc is not good to use on intakes as it gives of vapors when hot that the motor does not like. so before it hits the road again I have some piping to replace.

• 2 months later...