Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 4wd wagon

Panther427

Hey im gettin a 80 wagon for free. the motor is bad i quess... i dont know the hole storry yet. but there is an engine in the back that did work and it needs swapped. but i wanna turn this car into my rally cross car... but i want more power than 60-70hp.. iknow there are a few hop up parts.and there are always the basic things. What i was really curious is to swap in a later GL10 turbo motor. or can i dependin on what i find wrong with the bad motor rebuild it and make my own set up. also what is the newest engine/most powerful that i can swap in....

Welcome to the board!

These old engines are tough and easy to fix.

I'd stick the motor back in and see what happens before I'd start shelling out bucks for something else?

If it's a rally car and not a daily driver you may be able to humor an older motor along for a while without any worries. If it blows up then it blows up.

First thing I'd do to improve performace is let it breathe a bit by making the exhaust bigger...

If it runs a basic tune up will make a world of difference.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Hey well what i am planning is swapping the "good motor" in and get it running. and use the car. then deppending on what i find is bad with other motor, i was thinking building it up and then later swap the rebuilt engine back in. but i also wanted to know about putting a turbo motor in and or making the bad motor into a turbo motor. i deffinatally got the time. money is slacking and i know how. and is that rebuilt motor a "stock" rebuild or is it hopped up. Where do you guys get parts for hopping them up at.