Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Background: 2001 legacy, 47500 mi, 24000 miles on tires, rotate them myself every 7500.

Since it was a beautiful day yesteday i decided to rotate my tires. When i took it out for a spin i noticed a short vibration in the steering wheel. I also heard the noise resonate into the cabin. I adjusted all the tire pressures to 32 front-30 rear as normal. I get the vibration when going from a stop and turining left. There is no problem when turning right or going straight. Any opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

If it only happens at low speeds, I'd suspect a tire problem such as a separated belt or sidewall.

Higher speeds would indicate a need for balancing.

You might try returning the tires to the previous positions to determine if the problem goes away or changes in any way.

I know i probably have a bent wheel that i moved to the front because i noticed that i have a shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. How much are you supposed to torque the lug nuts down to? One other question... How often does anyone change their power steering fluid.. ive never done it

Definately go and get the tires balanced, doesn't cost too much. I think it is harder to feel a tire that is out of balance on the back, until you move it to the front, I had a similiar problem. Maybe get a 4 wheel alignment too. Not sure on how much torque, probably 50-70, it will probably say in your owners manual.

The powersteering fluid, it might say in your owners manual too. You can do it by yourself, it does take a little while though. Someone can explain if you need to know how to do this.

I have encountered a similiar problem on my 03 Forester. It only has 21,000 miles on it, but when I turn sharp to the left, usually almost to the post and under wet conditions, I hear a sharp noise coming from the front left tire. It doesn't always happen, which drives me nuts when I try and show the dealer, but it happens enough that I am growing concerned. This problem doesn't occur on turns to the right. I've had the dealer look at the front wheel assembly, and they tell me nothing's wrong, but I keep hearing the noise. No vibration in the steering wheel, though. Any ideas?

Perhaps it might be one of the pinions on the rack?

I have encountered a similiar problem on my 03 Forester. It only has 21,000 miles on it, but when I turn sharp to the left, usually almost to the post and under wet conditions, I hear a sharp noise coming from the front left tire. It doesn't always happen, which drives me nuts when I try and show the dealer, but it happens enough that I am growing concerned. This problem doesn't occur on turns to the right. I've had the dealer look at the front wheel assembly, and they tell me nothing's wrong, but I keep hearing the noise. No vibration in the steering wheel, though. Any ideas?

SmoothLegacy: Power steering fluid is "not a service item".

However, I like to suck up as much as possible from the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid. The total capacity is about 600ml, and you should be able to suck out 100ml.

Do this once a week for few weeks and you'll have replaced nearly all the fluid!

There is no drain hole. Purging air out is done with the engine running and swinging the steering slowly from one extreme to the other. Preferably driving very slowly in a big open area. Hold the steering at each extreme for a second or two. You can hear the fluid recirculating.

Thanks for the help so far and the suggestion about the pin, and I am sorry I posted a slightly different topic in this thread. The loud squeak that comes from my front left tire occurs only on sharp turns to the left and it started almost immediately after I bought the car in 03. The Dealer insists nothing's wrong, but then why the noise on left turns only? Any help?

Did this correct the problem?

Yes it did, the ball joint was very bad and vibration getting worse.

Waited for the first semi-warm day to do it, meaning I put up with it all winter.

I do have a fully equiped garage with lift and torches etc..........but furnace is broke..............

swi66

I had the same problem on my 93 Legacy and simply went and had the tires balanced and it took care of the problem.

Background: 2001 legacy, 47500 mi, 24000 miles on tires, rotate them myself every 7500.

Since it was a beautiful day yesteday i decided to rotate my tires. When i took it out for a spin i noticed a short vibration in the steering wheel. I also heard the noise resonate into the cabin. I adjusted all the tire pressures to 32 front-30 rear as normal. I get the vibration when going from a stop and turining left. There is no problem when turning right or going straight. Any opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy