Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brain box?

some one told me that the reason i couldnt get my old subaru going is because it didnt have a brain box under the steering wheel (it was stolen). so when i heard this i went and checked my 83 wagon and didnt find a box under the wheel either. i dont know what its supposed to look like so if any one knows what im talking about could you please send me a pic thank you.

Whether your car should have a computer or not depends on year and model. your 83 most likely shouldn't have a computer. What is the other car in question?

If it did have a computer, it certainly wont run without it.

Depending on where they were originally sold, the pre-83s might or might not have an ECU. I am not sure if that changed after 82.

The EA81's have the ECU mostly for emissions control. The carb doesn't need it to function. I don't think that the '83's ignition goes throught the ECU, but I could easily be wrong. And I really do no know whether or not the ECU is involved with fuel pump activation.

I hope that thes lack of certain information has helped you. :rolleyes: