Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I go with a EA82T or EJ22?

49er Mike

Ok, this is my first post here...be easy on me! I have had a number of Subaru's over the years, all stock. I currently own four that are licensed and driven regularly and one for parts. I have a 1986 GL 4wd 5-speed D/R carburated wagon that I want to play with. I will use it for "mild" off-roading and as a daily driver. I plan to install (its ordered) a 3" lift from PK, 15x7 six lug wheels, 205x75x15 Liberators, and a rear wheel disc conversion. The engine runs good at 215,000 miles but is getting tired. My question to you "gurus" is this: I have a donor car ('87 GL-10 5 speed w/push button 4wd) that I am thinking about taking all the turbo stuff out of and sticking on the '86 with a JDM turbo motor. Or do you think it would be a better choice to hold off, scrounge another donor car and install an EJ22 engine instead? I appreciate your help.

for the use that you need it for I would avoid a turbo swap. I have a EA82T and its fun off road as long as you are going fast. no low end at all. ej22 is solid as Im sure you know but the swap is rather involved. not to say it cannot be done or dont do it but realize what you are getting into.

If it were my car I would overhaul the motor and related components and do a SPFI instalaton. do a search on it. its a great way to get a little bit better power and get rid of the crappy carb.

I second Russ....

but I say especially cause your down there in Goat Country....go for the EJ-22 swap.....

I am getting ready to do a Swap in a Brat for one of your Fellow Medford Dudes next week....

I have a Donor Car with all the Goodies to do another swap if your interested....???

Call me if you want I can go over it with you....

Later, John in Eugene

Mudrat-

I tried to call on Saturday...you must be out playing!!! I'll try again Monday.

Thanks for the comments folks!

Mike

I second Russ....

but I say especially cause your down there in Goat Country....go for the EJ-22 swap.....

I am getting ready to do a Swap in a Brat for one of your Fellow Medford Dudes next week....

I have a Donor Car with all the Goodies to do another swap if your interested....???

Call me if you want I can go over it with you....

Later, John in Eugene

I put a ea82T in my 1982 leone and its honks!!! no problem with torque! I don't use it for 4 wheel driving which could require more torque but seems fine to me. My is in a rally car and has enough torque to keep the wheels spinning in 3rd on a tight corner.

Other people in my car club have leone RXs around the same year as yours (86-89). They have put EJ20 turbo motors and drvietrains without any problems. These years of leone RX seem to be an easy swap. EJ20 turbo of cause has alot more torque and horsepower.

I recommend EJ20 turbo and drivetrain. But depends on how much money you want to spend. EA82T is enough power and cheap to buy.