Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 Forester X with Keyless Entry and Security Upgrade. (Newer transmitter with oval buttons)

I've noticed that if the doors are closed, the alarm will set itself after some period of time.

Now the manual says the alarm will not set if the key is in the ignition, which is good. I've noticed also that the alarm will not set if I leave a door or the tailgate open. But… I've also noticed that on some occasions, after some unknown sequence of actions on my part, the alarm does NOT auto-set as described above.

First, I don't like this auto-set feature (just let *me* set or no set the alarm), so would be interested in any way to turn it off. And second does anyone know exactly the sequences of events under which the alarm will or will not auto-set.?

Also, and possible related, the manual mentions "Passive Arming," but does not really describe well what it means. It has something to do with having to use the manual lever to lock the doors. What is this and why would anyone want to use it?

If its like my OBW, there is a connector under the driver door sill that is used to engae/disengage the 'passive arming'.

I've gotten used to using the driver door switch and closing it last, but my wife complained that this car DOESN'T passive arm like her Windstar did. I just didn't tell her about the option. ;^) There's little danger of her finding it in the manual - based on previous experience.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

There is a way to disable the auto arming. Don't know how or if the Forester is the same but the dealer asked if we wanted it enabled on our OBW when we first bought it (for a "small" fee). We declined the offer, sounded like more hassle than it's worth to have it do it on its own.

OK, the answer is:

- In passive mode, the doors alarm will set automatically after one minute

- Therefore to disable the feature, I want active mode.

To put the car in active mode required that I remove the side sill cover on the driver’s side and DISCONNECT the white pole connector there.

Seems to work fine!